how can i fix a "sharp" fret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i fix a "sharp" fret?

ive had this dilemma ever since i got my new RR5. ive been through 3 high E strings in the past 3 or so weeks, and they all have snapped right at the 16th fret. i took it up to Alpha, and one of the techs said he didnt know what he could do. he too a small file and gently smoothed off the 2 corners of the fret, but i think its the top of the fret thats causing it to snap, since the string doesnt touch the side corners of the fret.

is there anything easy that I, myself, can do to smooth off the top of the fret? its not noticably sharp to the touch, i cant tell that its different from the other frets at all. but i put a new high E on today, and i can already tell that a little cut is beginning to form right where it meets the 16th fret.

anything i can do?

Re: how can i fix a "sharp" fret?

Try 1500 grit sand paper.Tape of the fretboard and gently sand the top of the offending fret to remove the sharp edge.Don't sand the entire fret just under the E string.Then use some metal(chrome)polish and buff the fret.That should do it.Did you notice any "cuts"on the other strings at that same fret?If that is the case you may want to do this procedure to the entire fret.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

well, all of the other strings are about 2 or 3 times older than the high E. I havent checked for cuts on the other strings, but i will check.

thanks mate!

Comment

I'm sure the fret is sharp under the small e string a burr on the fret perhaps.Give it a good buffing.I've seen a rash of bad frets here lately on new guitars.Mostly korean guitars but some USAs as well.

Comment

i cant find any 1500 sand paper around here! lol. hardware store only has up to 400 or 600. walmart doesnt have much better.
          im gonna try the arts and crafts store tonight

Comment

Have you found any chrome polish? I recommend one called M.A.S great stuff.My wally world has 1500 and 2000 grit paper it is in the automotive section.

Comment

wally world?! wtf is that :lol

damn ive been to Home Depot, Taylor's Do It center and Michaels arts and crafts, and none of them have 1500 grit paper!

life sux!

Comment

sears didnt have any either
                after all this driving around, i finally found some at a store right down the street from my home.
                Advance auto parts!

Comment

Wally World (Wal-Mart).
                  I am glad you found some 1500 grit now go easy don't sand too hard go a little at a time until the problem is gone.Good luck. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

i sanded a tiny tiny bit. im gonna wait it out to see if the problem is gone. i should probably buy another High E string to see if it starts "Cutting" that one too

Comment

Try sears hardware - they should have up to 2000 grit. Also, try some automotive shops.

Comment

Another good solution is to get one of those over priced fret buffing wheels from Stew Mac for the Dremel.
                        I know alot of guys don't like them, but if you can use it cautiously, it will buff your frets and take down light fret wear as well.
                        Its one of the best and effective tools i use for this kind of stuff.

Comment

awesome! theres my next stop!

Comment

I found a buffing wheel kit for a dremel at a flea market 5 buffing wheels 5 buffing cones and buffing compound for 3.00.This thing makes buffing frets a breeze.You have to be real careful or tape off the fretboard but a great time saver. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X