Linear or taper pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear or taper pots?

What does Jackson use from the factory on KV2's for the volume and tone knobs? 500K taper pots for both? Taper for volume and linear for tone?!? Any guesses?

I guess by "taper" you mean audio taper or log taper, which is the "correct" taper for both guitar volume and tone applications.

Linear taper won't work well neither for volume nor for tone pots, as any changes will happen in the last 10% of the pot's taper, so I am quite sure Jackson uses 500K audio taper pots.

Comment

I read this as tater tots. I need to eat less. haha
      Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
        Linear taper won't work well neither for volume nor for tone pots, as any changes will happen in the last 10% of the pot's taper, so I am quite sure Jackson uses 500K audio taper pots.
        Linear will work fine. Most companies use linear taper for tone controls and audio taper for volume controls.
        Carvin does the exact opposite and uses linear for volume and audio for tone.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Linear will have a even increase 1-10 to wide open , audio there will be very little change from 1-7 ,7-10 is where all the increase will be .

Comment

There's some great info here guys, thanks. But...the original question remains unanswered. What does Jackson currently install in their guitars for volume and tone? Specifically I am interested in the USA select series models (assuming it does not vary from model to model).

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
              Linear will have a even increase 1-10 to wide open , audio there will be very little change from 1-7 ,7-10 is where all the increase will be .
              That sounds backwards. Electricall that is correct but audibly that should be backwards. Our ears do not hear the even increase in a linear taper. We hear the biggest difference in the last 10%. That is why they use audio taper in volumes usually. It is tapered in a curve so that we hear a smooth increase. Some companies use all audio taper, some use liner in the tone knobs though.

Comment

Working...
              X