Intonating and adjusting a Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonating and adjusting a Floyd

Is there any reference material out there that will help me learn how to maintain and adjust a floyd? I muddled thru a string change on my 650xl, but have no idea if I did it right or how to intonate it. I changed the 10's that were on the guitar to 9's and now the intonation is a bit out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Re: Intonating and adjusting a Floyd

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

Scroll down to intonation setup. Aren't Trem's fun? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Did you look at the stuck posts at the top? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I looked at the link Gary so graciously provided. I think it left out a little info. Try this:
      - Take the cover off the back cavity so you can get to the springs and the trem block.
      - Loosen the claw so that the strings are pulling the trem forward.
      - Put something solid between the trem block and the back wall of the cavity so that the trem is now sitting level and won't move. This block will be held in place by the pull of the strings. Depending on the amount of clearance, you can use a small block of wood or a 9V battery.
      - Loosen the locking nut, tune the guitar to pitch, then set the intonation like you would with a hardtail. Be sure to check your intonation in the playing position. If you do it with the guitar on a bench, the weight of the head can affect the settings.
      - Once the intonation is set, turn the guitar over (strings up) and slowly tighten the claw screws until the block drops out. At this point, the trem should be level (just like you want it), the guitar should be very close to in tune, and the intonation is set.
      - Doublecheck the rough tuning using the tuners, tighten the nut, the dial it in with the fine tuners on the bridge.
      - Put the cavity cover back on, and you're done.

Comment

Yeah I checked out the stickies, I didn't see anything on intonating. That was the biggest problem, especially since I changed string guage. I still don't see how to adjust the intonation, is it by the little bolts that hold each saddle in? If so, how do you move the saddle back and forth to sharp or flat the intonation? That's where I am really clueless.

Chuck

Comment

Nevermind on intonation, I read the link Gary provided and understand now. Looks like I spend about 12 hours getting mine right LOL. I think I have a handle on things now. Just need a bit of patience to do the job. Thanks for the help guys.

Chuck

Comment

Chasbo,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Yes, you adjust the saddles by loosening the little screws, then moving the saddles back and forth.

If the note at the 12th fret is flat relative to the open string, move the saddle towards the nut. If it's sharp, move it towards the bridge.

If you block the tremelo like I suggested, it doesn't take more than a few minutes to do the job - and you get a properly adjusted tremelo in the bargain.

Another hint: Give a quick check to the intonation on all 6 strings. For any strings that intonate sharp, loosen the string and move the saddles way back until they're flat, then bring the string back up to pitch. It's a lot easier (and better for the strings) to make your fine adjustments by working with the pull of the strings.

Comment

Working...
            X