got a serious problem with dk2 neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a serious problem with dk2 neck

okay, I got a dk2, and the fret ends were sharp as hell. I took it upon myself to deal with the situation since the nearest jackson service center is like 3 states away. I filed the fret ends down with a fine sanding sponge, and I not only knocked off the ends a bit, but I knocked off the neck itself just a bit, and I could smell wood afterwards. And to boot, the fret ends are still sharp to my hand somewhat.

I realize that my actions may have ruined that guitar neck, but if Jackson had just dressed the frets properly in the first place, none of that would have happened. I have no warranty on this guitar - I am now considering buying another neck, and just calling this my "project guitar." Anyone know where I can get a good neck? Maybe a reverse headstock? Might look cool.

Thanks
    Wes

Re: got a serious problem with dk2 neck

Send the neck to Sully or Easton Guitars for a real fret dress and be done with it - you'd spend the same or less on that than a replacement neck. The last DK2 neck I saw on Ebay the other day closed at over $200 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

are you talkin the fret edges on the fretboard, or do the tangs of the fret poke out the sides? i'm assuming this is a bound neck, so that may not apply.

if it's just the fret edges, yes, take it to a tech to get the ends dressed. (local tech would probably be cheaper than shipping it)

also, if you just got the guitar and had it shipped to you, that could also play a slight factor. i'd have let it settle a bit, but we're kinda past that part. take it in, it shouldn't be a big deal.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you bought it new, it's under warranty.

The fret ends still feel sharp because all you did was file them down. That is not a proper fret dressing. Check projectguitar.com or some other places and read about doing a REAL fret dress. Take Newc's advice and send it to someone to get it repaired. A new neck would cost more than the repair.

Comment

Given that it's a bound neck, I'll assume it's the top ends near the edge, not the tangs at the binding, that are sharp. My Ibenhad EX350 was like that.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X