can this be done w a ofr??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can this be done w a ofr??

Removing the Tremolo (with strings still attached)

I want to clean my Gnarly fret board

http://www.jemsite.com/tech/3other.htm

Procedure
    1. Tighten the three locking nut bolts
    2. Remove the tremolo bridge from the studs
      • Insert a shop rag under the tremolo to protect the tremolo cavity paint
      • Turn the guitar upside down & remove the rear tremolo cover by unscrewing the six rear tremolo cover screws
      • Remove the lock down bar by removing the two tremolo lock down screws
      • Carefully remove the three tremolo claw springs first from the block, then from the claw.
      • Turn the guitar right side up, holding the trem from falling out.
      • Remove the tremolo off the posts - gently pull the tremolo away from the neck and thus the tremolo off the studs. Place the tremolo on the workbench (bed, etc..) off to the side
    3. To reinstall the tremolo
      • Reattach the tremolo on the posts
      • Flip the guitar and attach the tremolo springs
      • Retune to pitch

"when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
    I just made that quote..

Yes, you'll be fine.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just pull the strings.
      If you're gonna clean the board, you should put a fresh set of strings on it while you're at it. Chances are, the strings are just as nasty.

If you clean the board every time you change your strings, that crud will not be an issue.
      -Rick

Comment

I have taken my tremolo unit completely apart and put it back. Yes, like Joe said you should be fine. but I dont understand the intention...you say you want to clean your fretboard. Why take the tremolo off for cleaning the fretboard? Just insert a shop rag under the tremolo, remove strings, clean board, reinstall strings, take shop rag out, re-tune, intonate, etc.
        Sam

Comment

Yup, that works. It really comes in handy when trying out different pickups, too.
          I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Well the intention is to do as little work as possible, I dislike setting up new strings on ofr's. If this will let me keep my same strings, with minimal time taken. I will try it. Iam a lazy sob.

"when people say metal, they dont think bling bling they think stainless steel kitchen knife"
            I just made that quote..

Comment

aha! been there, done that Instead of that procedure, try this...

1. place shop rag under OFR
              2. loosen locking nut
              3. loosen strings by turning the tuners on headstock. but not too much, just enough to slide em off the nut completely and under the neck. If possible make 2 pairs of 3 strings each and/or bind the two pairs. Basically, keep them taught as much as possible. This is to prevent too much unwinding on the tuners-side.

there you go! you have access to entire fretboard. once you are done, slide strings back onto the nuts. Did I make any sense?
              Sam

Comment

Ehh? "emperor_black aha! been there, done that"
                I wont have access to the whole board For scrubbing. What should I use to clean and rehydrate that neglected (oh so beautifully black once) ebony.
                I just made that quote..

Comment

for tips on cleaning the fretboard, there are a lot of threads. I suggest you search for them. Here are a couple...
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...lean+fretboard
                  http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...lean+fretboard
                  Sam

Comment

Instead of the shop rag, I use a couple of those big ol' pink block erasers that they gave us, back in grade school. They work great.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I violently rip all 6 strings off with a single, brutal he-man pull. Then I get down to some fretboard cleaning.

Comment

And which he-man do you get to do that for you?

I'm not Ron!

Comment

Sam

Comment

Dude - you could have changed the strings in the time it took you to explain that changing the strings was too much work.

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                            Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                              Dude - you could have changed the strings in the time it took you to explain that changing the strings was too much work.

Yes, you are correct. as I look over to at the Poor little neglected Transparent Blue sl2h w/chrome hardware.
                              Like its not even there
                              I just made that quote..

Comment

Working...
                              X