emgs won't work, help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emgs won't work, help please!

I installed a set of emgs in my wrmg tonight. I also took out the turbocharger and replaced it with a second volume. But when I plug it in I can't get any sound. I replaced the pots with the pots that came with the emgs, but I didn't replace the output jack. I was having a hell of a time getting the original one off, so I left it on and figured it would be fine.
    This is my first set of emgs so do you think the problem is that I didn't replace the jack, or do you think it's another problem entirely?
    Thanks for any help.

Re: emgs won\'t work, help please!

The stock output jack shouldn't be a sound-related problem, as far as I know. What I do know is that using the stock output jack will continuously drain your 9V battery even if your guitar isn't plugged in. The EMG stereo output jack is designed to disconnect the battery when you remove your cable. If you don't mind replacing the battery approximately once a month, then keep the stock output jack in there if you can't get it out.

I am also assuming that you are using a fresh battery because that apparently solves almost all the non-soldering-related troubleshooting questions on the JCF. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm no soldering expert so I wouldn't be able to provide any assistance there though... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm going to learn how this summer.

You're also using an EMG volume pot for the new volume that you put in too, correct?

Comment

Isn't the old jack a stereo jack anyway to use the active Turbocharger? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh yeah, you're probably right. The whole Turbocharger thing passed right over me. WRMG... yeah. D'oh! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I think any kind of active circuit needs a stereo jack, even the old Jackson electronics on the Model series Charvels. The WRMG body I got from Jimosity had the Turbocharger removed, but I put in a Chandler Tone-X midboost wah system, and it came with a stereo jack. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Anybody have close-up pics or diagrams of the two different types of jacks?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Go to EMG's website and check that you have the input jack wired correctly. It sounds like you have one of the wires on the input jack wired to the wrong place. Make sure tip, ring and sleeve are wired to the right place. You should be able to use your input jack with no problems.

Comment

Working...
              X