Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frets wearing out

I got my KV2 brand new, 2 months ago.

I play it almost everyday for about 1-2 hours.I use 10 gauge strings with standard tuning.

The frets started wearing out. It's normal ,right? Or is it too soon?
    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Define wearing out. Do you have dead frets? Are they fretting out? Are they worn down? Its normal for them to look a bit worn after awhile, but they aren't really in need of replacement. In other words, they look more worn then they are.

Comment

As in grooves?
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

There's absolutely no problem in playing. They just look a bit worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
          There's absolutely no problem in playing. They just look a bit worn out.
          Then they are most likely fine.

Comment

It takes years of playing everyday to wear out frets.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Detune the guitar to move the strings to the side or sides and rub the whole board briskly with a clean cotton rag. Polish the frets up.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                Detune the guitar to move the strings to the side or sides and rub the whole board briskly with a clean cotton rag. Polish the frets up.

I'll do that later

Comment

they're probably just broken in.. crowns are leveling out a bit.

Comment

Then, "Where's the beef?"

Comment

Get stainless steel frets so they don't wear out.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As the crown wears down you can start having intonation problems. This wont be a problem until you come to record, or wear the frets down even more, which case you'll have action/buzzing problems by then I'd say. I'm hopefully giving my 10 year old (this xmas!) first Jackson some new frets this year. Thats an import thats had thousands of hours on it for comparison!

Comment

learn to play with a lighter touch and avoid pressing the string on the fretwire.

Comment

Originally posted by secks View Post
                            learn to play with a lighter touch and avoid pressing the string on the fretwire.
                            I disagree, although I have same problems as Norton (with any guitar I play) due the heavy touch... it makes a huge difference in tone... I'm going for the Gary Moore'ish thing most of the time.... but there's dynamics of course... If I want more delicate feel ala Eric Johnson or Uli Jon Roth... then I play with gentler touch. It's all a bout the tone and feel IMO.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Isnt that the exact thing that gives a fretted stringed instrument its tone? I find smaller frets (should say shorter) sound alot thinner and require more pressure for similar tone then bigger/taller frets. This is exemplified in one of my dads guitars that has smaller frets from 17 upto 22.

Comment

Working...
                              X