Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pickups comparable to an Ultrasonic Reference 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pickups comparable to an Ultrasonic Reference 6?

Okay, folks, I've had my SL-1 for a little over a year now - long enough to know I want to get a little more gain than the stock pickups provide. I'm going to start with the bridge pickup and get a sound I like there before I start swapping out the others.

I bought an Ultrasonic Reference 6 humbucker about 16 years ago and installed it in my Strat. I love the sound it produces - very high and even gain. Unfortunately, Ultrasonic went the way of the Dodo, and I haven't been able to find any used.

So, I'm trying to find a comparable pickup lest I resort to cannibalizing the Strat. I'm looking for something with high, but even, gain. Something similar to an SD "Duncan Custom" maybe. This is going to sound like a weird reference point, but the sound I'm shooting for is similar to George Lynch's in "Flying High Again" from the Randy Rhoads Tribute album he played on.

Thoughts or suggestions?

TIA for the replies,

Mer

Re: Any pickups comparable to an Ultrasonic Reference 6?

Also interested here. I have a Ref 6 in my Model 6 and have always wondered the same. I know you sound happy with the Ultrasonic but if you ever decide to let her go, let me know. Those old Ultrasonic Ref 6 kick serious ass. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: Any pickups comparable to an Ultrasonic Reference 6?

I know where there is an ultrasonic humbucker for sale, i dont know the model. call them 516.826.2525 tell him its in the front case by the door....he probably doesnt even know its there.

Comment

Working...
      X