Intonation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation questions

I have just changed my strings from 9-42 to 10-52 gauge on my KE1.

Now I thought that a change of strings means you need to do some intonation adjusting........however when I check the harmonic 12th with the fretted 12th they are perfectly in tune still.

Why is that? Or am I thinking that intonation only needs to be done for a specific tuning rather then gauge of strings?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Re: Intonation questions

Well if it's in tune, then no need to intonate!

Generally if you change string gauges, change tuning, raise or lower action or adjust your trussrod, your intonation will get whacked, although in some cases, the change is barely noticeable.

If I were you I'd double check the intonation with a electric tuner after I'd given the axe a nice setup [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I had the strings on my Warrior changed from 10-46 in E to 11-48 in D, didn't need to adjust intonation. I did loosen the truss rod a little bit.
      If you've kept the same tuning, you may want to tighten your truss rod a little bit, as the new strings will be pulling your neck forward a little.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

close enough for ROCK N ROLL [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I've never had a problem with my JSX intonation when changing gauges, nor did I with the model 6 I used to have. Now I'm used to light strings and never change the gauge. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rif...tion/my_photos

Comment

Intonation changes very little, but it IS present. A BOSS TU-2 may not notice the difference, but if you strobe it you will. Still, if it reads the same on a handheld electronic tuner, and you aren't cursed with perfect pitch, you'll never notice the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
              Intonation changes very little, but it IS present. A BOSS TU-2 may not notice the difference, but if you strobe it you will. Still, if it reads the same on a handheld electronic tuner, and you aren't cursed with perfect pitch, you'll never notice the difference.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen to that.

Comment

i dont even know how to adjust intonation.
                maybe someone can clue me in&gt;?

Comment

It isn't that hard. You need a tuner. Tune to pitch. At 12th fret your string should have the same pitch as harmonic picked over that fret. If the harmonic is higher than 12th fret sound you have to move the saddle towards the neck. If the harmonic is lower, move the saddle away from the neck. After every saddle movement tune back to pitch and check. I hope I made it clear enough.

Comment

ahhh, makes sense. thanks mate!

Comment

Working...
                    X