Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on neck pickups (HS-3 vs Cool Rails)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on neck pickups (HS-3 vs Cool Rails)

I'm considering to get a new neck pickup for my Charvel 650XL, and I've seen two interesting candidates:

DiMarzio HS-3 or Seymour Duncan Cool Rails

What are your opinions on these pickups?

As I'm not looking for a high-gain humbucker, which of these two sounds sweeter for soloing?

Also, do they sound well if I wire them for single coil mode (with a push pull pot)?

Re: Opinions on neck pickups (HS-3 vs Cool Rails)

Anybody?

Comment

I love the Dimarzio HS-3 but it's really not very strat sounding though I've never tried it wired as a single!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

I have an HS-3 in my Model 5FX, I really don't dig it that much. My favorite is the Duncan '59 and I'm planning on putting a Duncan Little '59 in place of the HS-3.

JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by txcharvel:
          I have an HS-3 in my Model 5FX, I really don't dig it that much. My favorite is the Duncan '59 and I'm planning on putting a Duncan Little '59 in place of the HS-3.

JMHO
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, the neck pickup in my 650XL is a Little '59. If you don't like the HS-3... how about a trade?

Comment

Just pulled the pickup, it's and HS-2...sorry.

With that...I guess I don't care much for the HS-2.

Comment

At one time (and perhaps still), Eric Johnson was using either the HS-2 or the HS-3 and using just one of the coils.

I've used both the HS-3 and the Cool Rails. Of the two I liked the Cool Rails better, but I wish I'd tried the HS-3 wired like Eric Johnsons.

Neither one gave a really good Strat front single coil tone. My favorite neck single is the Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy.

Comment

i like the cool rail alot & its sounds good tapped too.

Comment

I've got the Cool Rails in the mid of my 650 matched up with a Hot Rails in the neck. The Cool Rails is definitely a nice pickup, it matches well with higher output pickups. No experience with the Dimarzio, but you will not be disappointed with the Cool Rails.

Comment

I've had them both and in a strat type guitar they both work very well. I prefer the cool rails tho. I have one in a DK2 and a Model 3, both in the neck positions.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X