Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly's balancing problem?

Originally posted by dfvxc:
    When playing standing up, the headstock goes right to the floor if you don't hold the neck or push down with your right forearm.

I was wondering what you guys do to solve this?

Thanks,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I used to have the same problem with my Kelly. When I mentioned it here, everyone said I was wrong, and that Kellys are well balanced. My solution to the problem was easy. I got rid of it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Kelly\'s balancing problem?

I have also had that problem and temporarily tried moving the upper strap peg to the neck bolt closest to the headstock. I'll actually do a nicer job of it by customizing the strap peg to allow a longer neck bolt to go through it and then into the body. From experimentation, this works great. I guess if you have a neck through type, you'd have to redrill somewhere else but I'm not sure I'd do that unless it was my best playing guitar.

Dave-&gt;
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by dfvxc:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hmm....try taping lead weights to the inside of the control cavity until it balances? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a KE3 Kelly and yes they do dive to the floor. I did two things one was to take my strap from the Fret board strap button (The one closest to the headstock) and tie a piece of ribbon on it then tie that round the head stock, I then go a shoe lace and put that on the Fret board strap button and tied it round the middle of were the Strap and the Riboon meet.

It looks "Fiarly" stupid having a shoe lace and Wrapping paper ribbon my Generally heavy metal associated guitar but, It does the job.

(Note: You can use somthing less Pansy/Stupid if you really have to)

Comment

Use a thick leather strap that will create friction against your shirt/leatherjacket/bare chest/prom dress or whatever you wear. Also try moving the strap button from behind the guitar to the itty bitty horn, strat style. I've never had a Kelly nosedive, but I have had them sort of lean forward towards the floor.

Comment

For a bolt-on Kelly, move the front strap pin to the edge of the neck heel like this:

AND move the back one like this:

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Umm...nevermind.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Kelly\'s balancing problem?

When playing standing up, the headstock goes right to the floor if you don't hold the neck or push down with your right forearm.

Thanks,

Comment

Yes, Joe, we know - Kellys don't have a problem, we do [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Either way, the best cure is to move the strap pins [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

just get a big fat strap [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

...and a big fat shoulder pinch from the weight being focused on your shoulder - been there, done that [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's an import (strike 1) and a Kelly (strike 2) - move the pins, you cannot hurt the resale value [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                        Umm...nevermind.

[img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Are you referring to the fretboard "experiment" by the mad doctor? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nah, no reference to the JCF Dr. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's just that I have always argued that if a Kelly nose dives you should visit your family practitioner to see if you have an abscended colon or something. Maybe a deformed rib cage even. I've owned a few Kellys in my time, and still have one now. Never takes a dive on me...
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The "get a 3 inch leather strap" advice doesn't help those of us who aren't..."large". [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Seeing as there are 3 sizes of Kellys, I'm curious if the Kings or mid size balance better than the modern ones.
                              [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X