Making Control Covers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Control Covers ...

I wanted to post this in response to someone's ad in the classified section, but for whatever reason, I was denied access (despite the fact that I just posted an ad two days ago?).

Anyway ...

First start with taping off the control cavities with masking tape, then use the side of a pencil and shadow the outline of the control cavity ...

Once you have the outline of the control cavities, simply cut out the shapes and place them on a blank sheet of pickgaurd material. You can find this material here ...
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguar...Materials.html

Then cut out the shapes on a bandsaw.
    If you don't have a bandsaw, a coping saw may do the trick.

Next, take a sander and shape the rough pieces to fit the control cavities.
    This step is the most time consuming and sometimes it may prove to be the most frustrating, but if you take your time and test fit the pieces often to check your progress, you should be just fine.
    I use a combination of my drill press with a sanding drum for contours and a belt sander for my straight cuts, but I'd imagine the same job could be done by hand with sandpaper and sanding blocks.
    It may just take a little longer.

And there ya go!

Nice.
    FYI... You cannot reply to post in the classifieds.
    You can only create and add to your own ad.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Nice.
      FYI... You cannot reply to post in the classifieds.
      You can only create and add to your own ad.

Ahhh ... didn't know that.
      Thanks.

Comment

I pretty much did the same thing, but didn't have any pickguard material handy, so I used the lid off one of those old plastic VHS tape boxes. Worked great.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
        X