Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to raise the action on my PC1 without...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to raise the action on my PC1 without...

...effecting the intonation. The action is as low as can be. It plays awesome this way but I have a tough time getting harmonics and pinch harmonics out of it, I really have to work hard to get them out of there compared to my other guitars. I'm assuming that the super low action could be the cause. Any ideas??? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: How to raise the action on my PC1 without...

How low is the action?

Comment

Just raise the posts up a little. It shouldn't really affect the intonation, but if it does, then you'll have to move the saddles to help the intonation. If the action is too low at the lower frets, you may need to loosen your truss rod a little or shim the nut up a tiny bit.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by slash:
        How low is the action?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have an exact measurement but when playing chords and stuff without an amp you can hear slight buzzing. It's kinda like the spinal tap saying "None more blacker..." But in my case it can get "none more lower" [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I had the same problem. I wanted to see how low I can get with action. It was too low for me and I couldn't do pinch harmonics. I just loosened the truss rod a bit, like 1/8 of turn and I did the same with bridge posts. It fixed the problem and I'm thinking about rising action a little bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by metafaza:
            I had the same problem. I wanted to see how low I can get with action. It was too low for me and I couldn't do pinch harmonics. I just loosened the truss rod a bit, like 1/8 of turn and I did the same with bridge posts. It fixed the problem and I'm thinking about rising action a little bit more.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did your intonation go out after you raised it? That's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't have the patience and the proper tuner to mess with it at home. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by labelscott:
              I don't have the patience and the proper tuner to mess with it at home. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Any tuner will be fine. If the fretted note is sharp compared to the harmonic, you lengthen the string by moving the saddle back. If the fretted note is flat, then you shorten the string by moving it towards the neck. It may be a little more of a pain in the ass on a Floyd than a fixed bridge, but it's not that bad. Learn to do it. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm about to do this too, and it's my first time adjusting intonation on a Floyd (I've always let a shop do it before). I suppose I'd need to detune the bridge to move the saddles around? What is the quickest vs the safest way to do it?

Comment

So you can affect the output of an artificial harmonic if the set is too low? I didnt know that. I suppose lowering the action would be jsut the opposite than whats recommended here? (on another guitar)

Comment

When I changed the action on my guitar the intonation stayed the same. Remember we're talking small changes. If you have to reset the intonation, well, you have to do it.
                    A to how to do it the quickest way. Here's what I do: when I determine which way I have to move the saddle I loosen just that one string enough for me to move the saddle. Then tune to pitch, check intonation, adjust more if needed. I don't know if that's clear enough. Hope it helps.

Comment

Yep, that'll do it. I should have said 12th fret, though I assume most people know to check intonation at the 12th with the harmonic.
                      When you hold down on the 12th fret, if the note is sharp or flat compared to the 12th fret harmonic, then adjust accordingly.

Comment

Sunbane,
                        If you make a little tool out of a 6 inch ruler with some masking tape wrapped around it, you can dive bomb the Floyd a bit, jam the ruler under the bridge, and then detune the string a bit. IT will save you quite a bit of time retuning after adjusting each saddle.

Comment

Thanks guys! That will help a lot! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I use The Key, available from Allparts.com
                            Saves lots of time.

Comment

Never used the key, and never saw the point. As long as you're patient, intonating a Floyd isn't that difficult or time consuming. To tell you the truth, I think I can intonate a Floyd faster since I don't have to fuck around with turning a damn tiny screw a half a billion times. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I haven't done any scientific study on this, but I think adjusting the truss rod messes up intonation more than raising/lowering the bridge. I'll have to bust out a tuner when I have some time to kill one day and check that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X