hole filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole filler

i have just scored a charvel strat with fort worth stamped on the neck plate.the pickup configeration is 1 humbucker and 2 singles.i would like to remove the 2 singles and fill in the trenches.
    will this have any effect on tone or sound resonating through the body?
    this guitar is headed for some major work,she has a split in the fretboard,wornout floyd,machineheads falling apart.
    i think she was someones road dog.

I predict you will have plenty of answers within the next 24 hrs.

Some guys on here have used bondo to fill in pickup routes, and they claim no adverse effects on either sound or sustain. The more luthierish types seem to prefer glue and wood to do the same thing.

I was just going to add, that the guitar you have is an import - made in Japan, not Texas. But those guitars were reknown for their good quality - and that may be the reason it has withstood such abuse.

Comment

sounds like the good ole Model 3. great guitar.

bondo, wood filler, fiberglass, any of them will be fine and shouldn't affect the tone much at all.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Marine epoxy...
        Trim away the edges of the cavities at an angle, then feather in the filler to help prevent noticable lines.

Comment

Originally posted by zenridaz View Post
          i have just scored a charvel strat with fort worth stamped on the neck plate.the pickup configeration is 1 humbucker and 2 singles.i would like to remove the 2 singles and fill in the trenches.
          will this have any effect on tone or sound resonating through the body?
          this guitar is headed for some major work,she has a split in the fretboard,wornout floyd,machineheads falling apart.
          i think she was someones road dog.
          Could be a Model 4.

Before starting on this adventure, have you considered that a Model 2 is the sam guitar as a Model 4, but only with a single humbucker? Just seems like a lot less work.

Comment

ruining a good guitar, just look for something that will suit your needs, like a model 2.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

i scored this guitar for nothing.its pretty beat up.the neck is shot and i hate the pickup configeration.
              want my own frankie.

Comment

I basically did what Model1VH2 said, but made a wooden plug to fill in the majority of the hole, before I filled in the rest with a nice High-quality poly filler. Feathering the hole is crucial to ensure that no outlining is noticable. Look for the sticky that MM2002 did. Primo!
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Heh, sounds like my kind of project!
                  Good luck with it, it'll be fine!
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X