warmer tone from Fusiuon Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmer tone from Fusiuon Special?

I'm not familiar with that model. What is the body wood?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: warmer tone from Fusiuon Special?

Use the tone control? Adjust the eq settings on your amp?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry guys-Fusion special has a single volume, no tone. It also has the two slanted single slots at the bridge (like Avengers). I believe the body is basswood (same as my other guitars). Maple neck, rosewood board (again, the same as the others).

Comment

oh, and as for the amp settings, I would like to keep them the same as they are dialed in perfectly for my main guitar. I know it seems ridiculous, but I spent many years playing that guitar through my amp and don't want to mess with it!

Comment

By now you probably know my feeling about the Special, but try running it through a Boss Blues Driver pedal. You might like the tone you get out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
            oh, and as for the amp settings, I would like to keep them the same as they are dialed in perfectly for my main guitar. I know it seems ridiculous, but I spent many years playing that guitar through my amp and don't want to mess with it!
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hear ya, but just write the setting down and tweak the knobs for other guitars, since no guitar will sound the same as another.

Comment

warmer tone from Fusiuon Special?

Ok, i have been tinkering with this thing for a few months and it still seems to have an awfully bright tone. I replaced the stock singles with actual J-200's and it was a minor improvement. I them replaced the neck J-200 with a lil' 59, which sounds pretty good overall. But when compared to my other guitars, it is still way brighter. My next move is to replace the pot with a 250K-this should warm it up a bit, right? I really would rather not route out the bridge slot for a full HB. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Yeah, what Joe said. Cause no guitar will work perfectly on the same amp EQ as another guitar. I really ticked off the sound man once when I played six different guitars throughout the night and he had to adjust my settings at the board for each one to maintain "optimal tone-age."
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

My feeling is that if the amps EQ are adjusted for one guitar, I should be ablr to switch guitars for a different tone. It makes no sense to keep adjusting the EQ to get basically the same tone out of different guitars.

Comment

No, you don't understand. For the optimum tone of one guitar you will set your amp's EQ a certain way. When you introduce another different guitar to it, the EQ needs to be adjusted to make the new guitar sound as good as it can. Not to make it sound like the other instrument! Play a Les Paul through a Marshall JCM 800 half stack, easy to dial in a great guitar tone, right? Now, plug a Fender Strat into the same rig and play it without adjustment. Weak tone, right? Of course! But with proper adjustments you can make the Strat sound great. It will NEVER sound like the Les Paul, but it will sound as good as a Strat can sound. That's what we're arguing...
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Maybe you could play through an EQ pedal that you switch on when you use the Fusion? I don't know if it would be a feasible solution - just a thought that struck me...

Comment

I went through the same thing with my Avenger. Finally routed out the cavity and installed a full humbucker, but even THAT didn't solve the problem. Went through a bunch of pickups and finally settled with a Duncan Invader. Still just a tad bright, but much better than anything else I tried.

I know you said you don't want to route, but I thought my experience might interest you. I suspect Sunbane might have the answer if you are determined not to route.

Comment

Oh, I understand what you were saying, I'm just too lazy to keep messing with my EQ. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess I'll have to keep tinkering...

Comment

Maybe some kind of EMG eq circuit like a midboost (they work with passive pickups). Or add a concentric pot so you can have a tone control without drilling another hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X