SL2HT string height measures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2HT string height measures?

How would the 'string height' on a string through (e.g. SL2HT) compare to a recessed floyd equipped guitar? Please note that it's string height measured from the body surface to the strings (not measured on the fretboard).

As an example i measured the height from body to strings on two of my Jacksons right between the two humbuckers with a calliper:

RR1 recessed floyd: 7,5 cm
    SL2H non-recessed floyd: 14 cm

The reason i'm asking is that almost all my technique training over the years has been done on recessed floyd guitars, which apparently resulted in, that i can speed pick (shred) much better on such a low height guitar. It has something to do with my picking hand fingers resting on the body surface i guess. I don't have any string through guitars to try - yet.

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: SL2HT string height measures?

Originally posted by jackson1:
    RR1 recessed floyd: 7,5 cm
    SL2H non-recessed floyd: 14 cm
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">7.5 whopping cm from the strings to the body surface??? That's 3 inches! I hope you meant to write mm - not cm. Otherwise that SL2H would have the highest damn string action I've ever heard of. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

That's what I thought too. 7,5cm!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That would be King Kong's guitar!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Crap, you got me guys! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] 14 cm! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Maybe i was thinking about my d*** [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes, i meant to write mm allright.

Toe, i was afraid of that. I bet you developed your right hand technique on mainly non-recessed / TOM's then?

Some day, when you feel for it, would you measure your string-thru for me so i can compare?

/Henrik
        Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
          Toe, i was afraid of that. I bet you developed your right hand technique on mainly non-recessed / TOM's then?

Some day, when you feel for it, would you measure your string-thru for me so i can compare?

/Henrik
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I started out with mostly recessed trems then went to the TOMs and non-recessed trems later. I never had much of a problem adjusting back and forth to different bridges or neck shapes, etc.

Sure, I'll try to get to it some time later or tomorrow and take measurements. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It definitely will be higher, sort of like a Les Paul. I've got two string-thru Professional Dinkies from 1994 (Dinky HX), and the TOM is a little higher off the body, as well as the neck being tilted back a little more. Personally, I prefer it being higher, the same as I like non-recessed Floyds better. To me, it doesn't affect the feel, and you can dig in and not have to worry about getting too close to the body (though, I never have that problem either and can go from recessed to non-recessed without a problem).
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
              Sure, I'll try to get to it some time later or tomorrow and take measurements. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh yeah, sure SLOEJAM... [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              Henrik

Comment

Working...
              X