Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the difference between the J50B and the J50BC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the difference between the J50B and the J50BC?

ive never heard of a Jackson J50B pickup, so is it possible that someone mislabeled it in an ad? A picture of the back of the pickup says J50B, so is there actually a J50BC? If both exist, whats the difference? The J50B i saw looked like an EMG, with the flat cover and all.

Re: whats the difference between the J50B and the J50BC?

Both are designed for the bridge position. The "C" denotes a ceramic magnet, which usually gives crisper/hotter output at the expense of warmth/depth. I prefer the Jackson ceramic magnets myself. The originals were uncovered and usually resembled Duncans except that all the poles were black. Some of them were covered from the mid to late 80's with the large, oversized cover and bezel. By 1990 they were covered nearly identical to the EMG with a normal sized plastic cover. The "C" designation was also used on the J-80, J-90, and a few other variants.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

are the J80 and J90 hotter than the J50?

(thanks for your info by the way)

Comment

as far as I know, yes, the 80 and 90 are hotter

harrald

Comment

J-50 is on par with a JB.J-80 was primarily a neck pickup.J-90C was a bridge pickup.The J-80 and 90C are hotter than the J-50.The discussion Of adj pole pieces on the J-90s ( in another thread)I have 9 J-90Cs the ones tagged Jackson made in USA have adj pole pieces The ones that just say Jackson do not.That is just my obsevation of the pickups I have. I'd like to hear what some of you guys have to see if this is the case and solve the riddle of the adj pole piece question. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The J-50 is a vintage humbucker approximation, less output and harmonics than the Duncan JB. The J-80 was not exclusively a neck pickup, but was really designed for the bridge and was a distortion class humbucker. The J-90 was the high output humbucker. If you have any Jackson pickup with the Jackson logo on back, it was wound by Jackson in the USA. Some versions had adjustable poles, others didn't. But that is not indicative of their country of origin. Later, non labeled pickups were wound overseas and are not USA made Jacksons.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
            X