Building a guitar from parts... need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a guitar from parts... need advice

I have a nice body made of Black Korina that should be here in a couple of days and I'd like to use an oil finish on it. What are some good types of oil to use on it? Also, what type of paint would be the best to use in the control/pickup cavities to sheild it?

imo, gunstock oil, and get yourself the stewmac shielding paint. you may want to mask off the surrounding areas to prevent it getting messy.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I like Danish oil on bodies. Works great! I wet sanded the guitar in a tub with danish oil. It's a messy process, but the wet sanding combined with the oil filled the grain in my white Korina guitar. Or if you don't mind the open grain, just wipe on and off several times. Tung oil is another, but takes forever to dry IMHO. Birchwood casey Gunstock oil is another, but you have to work quick because there is a shellac binder in the oil. Great for maple necks however.

Cavity shielding paint that works great. It is water based. 2 thin coats and your in business!

Good point Sully on the shielding paint. Don't get any on your clothes either. I believe it's a graphite/metal base. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...ing_Paint.html
      Last edited by Bengal65; 06-19-2007, 09:50 PM.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Here's the White Korina with Danish Oil. I had first used Sully's favorite for vintage look maple necks. It's called Golden Oak, then went to Natural.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Is that Danish Oil widely available (hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, etc...)?

Comment

The Limba body looks nice. I prefer Tung oil myself but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices mentioned here.

This Black Limba body was finished with Tung oil by one of my customers.

Comment

The Black Korina body above looks outstanding! That is exactly what I'm looking for. The White Korina strat body is sweet too... Now I'm getting excited about this. Thanks for the responses. I'll post pics when it is done.

Comment

Working...
                X