Changing Les Paul tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Les Paul tuners?

I'm thinking of changing out the tuners on my LP Studio. They've got the typical Gibson Deluxe tuners with the green buttons... I really don't care for them. What brand can I swap in without doing any modification? I think I'd like to go with locking tuners. Those Planet Waves locking/string cutting tuners look interesting. Anyone ever try those? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G..._Machines.html
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Changing Les Paul tuners?

The last Les Paul that I put locking tuners on needed to be drilled out. It was an Epi Les Paul Quilt top and it had the vintage Kluson type tuners. After removing the tuners and the inserts I still had to drill the holes bigger so the locking Sperzels would fit.

Comment

yep what JG said, i dont think any modern type tuners fit in place of klusons with the push in top bushings. you may want to check out grovers tho, since they make a vintage type tuner that uses push in top bushings. they arent locking but are alot better than klusons. they were used on old Gretschs, D'angelicos & very early BCRichs. BTW i think the grover imperial buttons look sweet on LPs

Comment

Thanks, guys! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll have to check more into the Grovers. I do like the look of the Imperials as well from a couple guitars I've seen with them.

Comment

Grover locking rotomatics should fit right in. Newer Gibson Deluxe tuners are made by Grover. Older ones are made by Schaller. The holes for the old Schallers are the same as the new Grovers and the Grover Rotomatic and Locking Rotomatics fit right in. The mounting screw even lines up correctly. There will be an extra hole above the tuner, however.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Gotoh makes a locking version of those Kluson style tuners. They even have the Keystone buttons. The AllParts catalog # is TK 0735-001 for nickel and TK 0735-002 for gold.

Comment

Cool beans!!! Thanks. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X