Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler 5514 locking nut

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who knows how to install this locking nut? It's the one without the allen wrench (with the clips).

Do I replace the old one with this? I tried to do so but it doesn't fit (there is not enough fretboard to put it in - the truss rod cover gets in the way).

Thanks

You're talking about the 'Deluxe' flip lock one (lower one in link below), right? I assume you have the normal 'Standard' behind-the-nut-stringlock (upper one in link below).

http://www.kahlerparts.com/images/X-5513-5514_small.gif

If I remember correctly, the 4 holes for the screws for mounting locations are the same on both. The body of the flip one might be a little longer so you may have to slightly trim your trus rod cover.

If there was enough fretboard for the standard stringlock on your guitar, I don't understand your comment that there isn't enough fretboard for the flip-lock one. Perhaps you could take and post some pics showing the problems??

Comment

Sorry for bad english here, I didn't found a better way to say it

I guess I was trying to say that the body of the new one is a little longer and the fretboard part for the nut is not long enough.

Actually I have the lower one. I bought it because the say it fits all guitars.....A little strange but I believed them. I live in Greece and that thing doesn't exist here so I bought it directly from Kahler parts.

I'd like to ask another question: I don't see any positions for the strings on the kahler nut. How is it supposed to determine the string spacing? Do I need a normal non-locking nut for that in addition (I think that's the case?)?

These pictures are quite low quality (from the laptop cam)....I hope they can help.

Here is the original nut:

Here is the original nut and the fretboard nut position:

Here is the Kahler:

Here is the Kahler and the fretboard nut position:

The "upper" screw holes of the Kahler are off the fretboard wood. Can I screw them on the headstock wood or is it wrong?

Thank you very much for the help and sorry for my newbieness in that
      Last edited by Valgrath_Blak; 06-18-2007, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The Kahler is a BEHIND the nut string lock.
        You need a standard nut in there WITH the Kahler lock.
        Just stick with the Floyd nut.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          You need a standard nut in there WITH the Kahler lock.
          I'll probably stick with the original but I'll keep the kahler because I'm thinking of a custom guitar in the future, so maybe they could build the guitar with that in mind (if I supply it to them).

I'm thinking of a custom jackson Soloist (or Hamer californian, Kramer striker - do they have a custom shop? :P)

Do you think they can build the guitar (superstrat with floyd) to have a normal nut and this kahler string lock, in the custom shop? I think they wouldn't have any problem with that.....? They would have to slightly lengthen the neck behind the nut so it would be no change in the scale length......
          Last edited by Valgrath_Blak; 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM.

Comment

The Jackson CS will do it. And there's no need to add any length. They just mount it over the truss rod hole on the face of the headstock.
            I know someone here has a pic of one installed.
            -Rick

Comment

The Jackson CS will do it. And there's no need to add any length. They just mount it over the truss rod hole on the face of the headstock.
              I know someone here has a pic of one installed.
              Cool. Thanks for the info.

Edit: I found a couple of pics.....it seems there's no need for a string retainer in this case.

Last edited by Valgrath_Blak; 06-19-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Problem identified

And here´s the solution

Comment

So you're saying I finally had a post of value? :ROTF:
                  -Rick

Comment

hi, i realize this is an old posting but you wouldn't still have the kahler 5514 lock nut, if so would be for sale? thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X