Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using passive pots with active EMG pickups? Bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using passive pots with active EMG pickups? Bad idea?

I have NO idea why, but a dude that I talked to has just installed his Zakk Wylde EMG pickup set, and the only thing he didn't swap out were the pots. It's a Gibson Flying V, so I think it has 500k pots, right? And the EMG pots are 25k if I'm not mistaken. He's asking me to ask you whether using the EMG pots is absolutely crucial (well, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Otherwise, what will the passive pots do for his sound? EMGs are low impedence, so they're a nice low 25k, I'm guessing. So, I assume that with his passive pots in there, won't he get major resistance or something, and not get the "full tone" from his new pickups?

Educate me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Using passive pots with active EMG pickups? Bad idea?

I can't remember which is it now: you either lose high end or the low end. To get the best from his EMGs he'd be better off using 25k pots. I think you're losing low end, so they sound very trebly. And I guess you'' lose some output too, sive you put 10 times bigger resistance.

Comment

no such thing as an 'active' or 'passive' pot. He just needs to change em out to the proper resistance. If EMGs worked properly with the stock pots, they wouldn't recommend changing them, ya know?

Pete

Comment

The volumes pots will act as on/off switches.

Comment

Bad idea.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, dudes!!! I've passed the info along to him. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Make sure he puts the stereo jack in there as well, or he'll drain his batteries in no-time.

Comment

Working...
              X