Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to install Floyd Rosew stud inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to install Floyd Rosew stud inserts?

What's the best way to do this?

Tap them in with a small plastic headed hammer.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm assuming the holes are already drilled, and you're just asking about installing the inserts. I like to press them in using a drill press, since it gives complete control and guarantees that all the pressure is going straight in. Another way to press them in is to use a large C-clamp, with something to pad the back of the guitar and protect it. Lots of people just tap them in with a rubber mallet. That's fine as long as you're careful to make sure they go in straight and don't lean over and distort the hole (this can really happen with softer woods like basswood). Just start them slowly & carefully and you should be fine if you do it this way.

Comment

This may sound dumb. But make sure the holes and studs are simpatico. Otherwise, you may crack the wood. Spit on the studs. They will go in easier?
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

i spit on other things, to make sure they go in.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

heat the bushings a little with a soldering iron (it softens the clear a little) and push them in with a drill press.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

+2 for the drill press, and, yes, I spit on them, too.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                i spit on other things, to make sure they go in.
                DUDE! I'm SO snatching that for my signature!
                "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                  DUDE! I'm SO snatching that for my signature!
                  glad i could be of assistance
                  "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

oh, oh, oh, i found an article where a guy would freeze the inserts, and coat them lightly in sewing machine oil. then pop them in and wait for the insert to heat up.

Comment

Yeah like Fett mentioned make sure they are the correct size. I will use a very fine sand paper on a cylinder to make sure I have the clearance. Even if they are drilled to the "called out size" they will be somewhat tight. You want them to be able to start them will little force. Too much force and the insert will crack the wood. Especially Ash or Mahogany.

+3 on the drill press. I use either Beeswax or a thick paste wax to lube the inserts.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Freezing will shrink the bushings down so they fit in easier and will snug up nice and tight as they warm up, but may very likely split the wood. I drill the hole and then lightly sand it a little to give a little more room. Then I use the soldering iron trick. I'll heat the bushing with the soldering iron and then us the drill press to seat them. The heat will soften the clear coat and and the wood a little so they slide in easily.

Comment

Not everyone has a drill press, especially those who live in apartments.

Get one of those QuickGrip C-style clamps with the rubber heads (hardware store should have them, or WalMart, etc).
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use a rubber mallet to knock the inserts in
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Not everyone has a drill press, especially those who live in apartments.

Get one of those QuickGrip C-style clamps with the rubber heads (hardware store should have them, or WalMart, etc).
                              thanks, very cool of you

Comment

Working...
                              X