............TINK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ............TINK!

O.k., it's happened to all of us at one time or another: You're tuning your Les Paul, (or other angled haedstock 3 per side guitar)you're *just* about there, and....TINK! You hear that little noise that says the string is binding in the nut and the string goes sharp. Now normally I just squeeze a drop or 2 of fretboard conditioner or similar oil on the nut, and it stops. But, I'm having a particulary tough time with a new Les Paul. Anyone got their own secret remedy for this?

Re: ............TINK!

SMASH THAT FUCKER INTO THE CONCRETE ON THE BACK PORCH AND LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget to videotape the proceedings and post a link here, thanks.

Comment

Sandpaper in the slot going towards the tuner (not on the fretboard-side) to angle the exit a bit.

Or get a graphite replacement nut - way better than plastic.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've always wondered what that sound was. I've heard it on ALL my guitars when tuning up, especially when putting on new strings. I always thought it was the string getting stretched under tension and I'm deadly afraid that it's going to snap and snag me in the eye. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Instead of oil you could just use pencil lead (which is made of graphite). Just rub a bit of the lead into the slot. This keeps things a bit neater than buying a tube of graphite and trying to pour it into the slots.

The old standby was to take some pencil graphite and crush it.. mix it with a tiny bit of 3 in 1 and add just a bit to the nut slot ..

[ April 03, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]

Comment

Man, you guys are no fun at all. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Chuckracer,
              Your Avatar is freaking me out! It doesn't matter where I go.....the eyes keep following me! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
              You don't have to go as hardcore to cure the "TINK!" though. Just cut the strings off and make snares to catch the neighborhood mutts that keep shitting on your yard. No strings, no "TINK!". Better?.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, it's not very sporting to pit the guitar against the concrete patio - wood vs. concrete, ya know concrete wins.

The thing to do is SMASH THE FUCKER INTO YOUR DUAL RECTO FULL STACK UNTIL YOU'VE BROKEN BOTH INTO THEIR CONSTITUENT ATOMS!

Otherwise, you'd be stuck with no guitar and an amp. See how it's better this way? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Wood, plastic and metal vs. wood, plastic and metal is much more sporting.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Concrete rocks.

My remedy for the tinking has always been to just deal with it. At least on my guitars, it doesn't fuck up the intonation too much.

Comment

I use the crushed pencil lead myself, but it doesn't always do the job with wound strings. I would love to replace the nuts on all my guitars with graphite ones, but I'm too lazy. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Wrap the affected string in 600 grit Sandpaper, draw it along the slot a few times, and afterwards nut sauce or powdered Graphite. Usually solves the problem if it isn´t too bad [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I clean out the nut slots with my nut files, but I realize that I may be one of a handful of people on this board that own those. If you don't have the nut files, the pencil lead trick works. And for the wound strings, next time you change them cut about a 5" section of string off and run it through the nut slot maybe a dozen times, like your flossing your teeth. I KNOW you guys all floss.

Comment

Take a piece of 600 or 800 grit paper, fold it in half ans slide it through the slot a few times. This also cures that problem you sometimes get where a string seems to be dead in the slot and make that weird kind of buzzing noise.

Comment

Working...
                          X