How to ship a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ship a guitar

From some of the latest threads (sorry to hear about JCF-013) I thought this might be a good idea.

Make sure you get a guitar box. Most music stores toss em out: Become pals with your local GC or the equivalent and get a box. If you can't, then 'roll your own' but make sure that the box is doubled everywhere if it's a homemade job, and do it neatly so the UPS or FedEx folk can't dismiss it before you even get it accepted.

TUNE YOUR STRINGS DOWN. Especially if you have a floyd with the mounting holes in the back. Just enough so there isn't any tension on the neck. If not, and the guitar lands just right - SNAP goes the neck. I have seen this, and it sucks.

Put some bubble wrap inside your hardshell case, around the headstock tip, the butt end of the guitar, basically anywhere there is ANY play or movement. I know that most HSC's are formfit for the guitar, but if this had been done it's likely that many guitars wouldn't get damaged. A tiny bit of play in a case is bad news. While you're at it, make sure that anything left in the case is secure also. If the hinges are bad on the case, tape the thing shut!

If you don't have a HSC for your guitar, at least use a padded gig bag and fill the ends with bubble wrap. This will help protect it. Then make damned sure you are using a good box. Some boxes are made for shipping guitars that aren't in a HSC - these are a Godsend.

Most manufactures from the factory ship guitars in cardboard boxes that aren't a whole lot bigger than the guitar case. If you have one of these, make sure there is plenty of padding at the top and bottom of the case, and you should be ok. I've shipped guitars in oversize (acoustic) boxes before. My favorite of those are Taylor boxes, since they have cardboard inserts that the case will sit in - it isolates the case from the edges. Good stuff! If you aren't so lucky, you can crumple magazines into trash bags (lots - you want it to be nice and fluffy) and then put in one trash bag, guitar case, then another one full of newspaper or magazines. If it's tight enough, then you won't need anything for the sides - the bags will hold the case in suspension. Also peanuts can be used, but never just toss a bunch of peanuts in a box. They can settle and then you're really screwed. Put them in a trash bag FIRST, then into the box. Trust me on this.

One last thing: Be prepared to fight for your insurance money if it does happen. All of the shippers I know of do not just say "ok, we screwed up, here's your dough..." you have to fight them tooth and nail. EVEN AFTER THEY AGREE TO PAY, then they will argue down your insurance amount. Just because you bought 1999 of insurance for that guitar doesn't mean they will pay it... they will want someone to appraise it in most cases. So even if you pay extra for more insurance, it isn't going to help. I always insure packages for what they paid for it, or in the case of a trade, equivalent value. There is no way in hell any shipper is going to pay out a claim of 2 grand for a charvette unless you can get Justin to appraise it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I also ship FedEx with little problems. UPS has been a nightmare at times, and the USPS has lost packages for me. Just make sure your gear is packed like you KNOW it's going to be abused and you should be ok. Never ever pack something half assed... it will come back to haunt you.

Pete

Re: How to ship a guitar

Great post, Pete.

If I may add: Bicycle Boxes are a little bigger than guitar boxes and made of a much heavier duty cardboard. A 20" BMX bike box is perfect for guitar use. It allows for more packing/padding around the outside of the case.

Also, let me stress: Most guitars are broken because of movement inside the case. Even the SLIGHTEST movement is enough to break a pointy headstock when the guitar lands headstock first from an 8 foot drop.

Here's a GMW Strat ready to be put in a box:

"Get Justin to appraise it" ROTFLMAO!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

As an opposing view:
      I shipped a Pedulla neckthrough bass to Tokyo from Tennessee in an SKB case (non-original, and fairly abused) wrapped in heavy duty shipping paper (Wal-Mart). There was bubble wrap in the case, but it wasn't mummified; just enough to absorb any bumps. Remember, if the packing's too stiff it's going to pass any shock through to the more flexible neck (just like those little metal ball thingies that bounce back and forth).

Fernandes cartons (like for the NativeX - or whatever that Explorer-ish thing is) have a thin veneer of plywood on all sides. They weigh more, but OY the stability!

I'd also suggest removing the allen wrench holder from the back of the head: remember the Warrior Pro I got from Drake where the headstock split in half? Guess what the leverage point was? The big allen wrench. The split followed the short end of the big wrench perfectly.

And when you DO wrap the head, I would advise against putting anything under the tip of a pointyhead. Pad the nut area instead so the head floats in the case (if there's room). Also put some padding under the neck heel (especially if it's got a scalloped neck joint, whether neckthrough or bolt-on). The padding in the top of the case can crush a bit, but the bottom usually has stiffer padding.

If it's a bolt-on and you don't have a case or gig bag, disassemble it, wrap the neck in about 3" of bubblewrap, and wrap the body. Then pack the box in layers (packing, body, packing to even it out, neck, packing to even it out to the top of the box).

As for peanutz, try this:
      If the carton is not a snug fit for the case, pour in about 3 or 4 inches of peantuz, then press the case down into them. Hold the case in the center of the box and have someone else pour in some peanutz, then wiggle the case around to settle the nutz. Keep doing it like that until you get the case slam full of nutz (pour a bit and wiggle/pack, pour, pack, pour, pack). Try to get it even on all sides. Put some bubblewrap or fluffy paper on top and mash the lid of the carton down, then tape it to hellenback.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:

TUNE YOUR STRINGS DOWN.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it really matters. If you've got a Floyd, put some bubble wrap underneath it. Some people say tune the strings down, others say leave them up to pitch. I've done both, but usually I just keep them up to pitch. I sent a 12-string Carvin from NJ to CA, tuned up to standard pitch, and it got there fine, but the guy said the strings were tuned a step down anyway, I guess because of the drive across country in a truck with different climate changes.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:

TUNE YOUR STRINGS DOWN.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it really matters. If you've got a Floyd, put some bubble wrap underneath it. Some people say tune the strings down, others say leave them up to pitch. I've done both, but usually I just keep them up to pitch. I sent a 12-string Carvin from NJ to CA, tuned up to standard pitch, and it got there fine, but the guy said the strings were tuned a step down anyway, I guess because of the drive across country in a truck with different climate changes. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry Joe, but I had a guitar shipped to me a few years back that didn't show any damage on the outside of the box, but the damned neck snapped around the floyd nut. Yep, guitar was tuned to pitch and was even still in tune... but the headstock was busted. It's cheap insurance to detune the strings in my opinion.

Pete

Comment

When you're detuning the strings on a Floyd-equipped guitar, I assume you're purposely letting the trem fall into the cavity (or onto the face of the guitar if you have a top-mounted Floyd) and not touching the trem claw, basically not setting up the guitar in a lower tuning? Or are you doing the full setup in Eb or D or even lower?

Comment

Strings slack. Roll up some small bubble wrap and stuff it under the bridge before you dump the tuning.

Comment

Awesome, thanks. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

The reason I asked is because my Soloist was shipped to me in just the case and a cardboard box and the thing arrived perfectly and tuned perfectly to E even through an extreme climate change - from sunny California to an absolutely frigid Canadian winter evening when it arrived at my doorstep at dinnertime.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by toejam:
                  </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Twisteramps:

TUNE YOUR STRINGS DOWN.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it really matters. If you've got a Floyd, put some bubble wrap underneath it. Some people say tune the strings down, others say leave them up to pitch. I've done both, but usually I just keep them up to pitch. I sent a 12-string Carvin from NJ to CA, tuned up to standard pitch, and it got there fine, but the guy said the strings were tuned a step down anyway, I guess because of the drive across country in a truck with different climate changes. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry Joe, but I had a guitar shipped to me a few years back that didn't show any damage on the outside of the box, but the damned neck snapped around the floyd nut. Yep, guitar was tuned to pitch and was even still in tune... but the headstock was busted. It's cheap insurance to detune the strings in my opinion.

Pete
                  </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't necessarily disagree with you, but some manufacturers, such as Carvin and Hamer, say you should keep the tension on the neck when shipping. Others say you should detune.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                    some manufacturers, such as Carvin and Hamer, say you should keep the tension on the neck when shipping.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard this too. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Hmmm, if you're trying to sell your guitar, why not detune several days/weeks ahead of the actual sale (or set up the guitar with super light gauge strings), let the guitar adjust to the reduced tension, and THEN send it out? Then the recipient can set up the guitar upon its arrival. I've never thought about this before, and I've never heard of it being done before. What do you guys think? And no, I'm not high right now. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

To me it depends on the guitar. On something with a strathead and no locknut holes through the neck, I leave it.
                      A Jackson headstock is fragile as hell no matter the locknut situation, so those should definitely be dumped.
                      Electric guitar necks are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry about dropping tension over a period of time or anything.

And I'm not high yet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

"There is no way in hell any shipper is going to pay out a claim of 2 grand for a charvette unless you can get Justin to appraise it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] "

Priceless, Pete!! Good old JC! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Great info here... this should probably be tacked.

Comment

Thank you all, this is some really good info. I am moving to Texas in about a month and the movers will be packing all, well most, of our items. I am going to pre-pack my guitars.
                            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Manufacturers ship their guitars out fully tuned. If you're going with Air shipping, detune because of the barometric pressure changes, but if it's just ground, you shouldn't have to worry about it (though I suppose you have to ask "who can afford more losses in shipment, Joe Schmoe or Gibson?")

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X