Pulling Floyd post bushings for replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling Floyd post bushings for replacement

I just bought an OFR to put on my Charvel Model A and I want to pull the existing POS JT580 bushings and put the OFR bushings in. Has anyone ever done this? Are any special tools required? Thanks!

Re: Pulling Floyd post bushings for replacement

I've done it with a pair of pliers and a piece of cloth. Just grab them suckers and PULL!

Comment

bissell, you will find help in this old thread *HERE*

Allparts has a stud puller you could buy or you could make you own. This quote from MountainDog actually explains in princip how it's done:

You put the big round thing over the insert, select the right bolt, stick the washer on the bolt, pass the bolt thru the big round thing and thread bolt into the insert. Then use the wrench to 'tighten' the bolt. The insert will be pulled out and up inside the big round thing.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I agree with Thoraby. Find a piece of heavy cloth, like a kitchen towel (take an old soggy one, or your mom and/or wife will never forgive you!). Screw the old trem posts in as long as they will go, put one or two layers of towel over the post, grab it with a heavy set of pliers and PULL!!!

When it's time to put the new bushings in, you'll find that they are a little thicker than the old ones. What I did, was find an old drumstick that I cut the end off, and used it with a hammer to knock the new bushings in. Be careful so you don't hammer them in too far though. You'll want them to sit flush with the trem route.

Comment

I would be very gentle with that hammer, bane. I've seen several recessed floyd cavities where the lower stud area is cracked in the wood. Why, i don't know, probably there's simply not enough wood there to make any mistakes. This is the area i'm talking about:

/Henrik
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I just got done and let me tell you... It was easy! Those bushings came right out. The way you guys said PULL!!!! You made it sound like it was going to be hard. The only down fall is that on the low E side, there is extra routing showing as the OFR is smaller. I can live with it though, no prob. The JT580 sucks!

Again, you guys rule! Thanks for the help! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a related question. Are the newer OFR types the same size as the older one with the flathead screwheads?

Comment

Sweet Jesus people, you are all lucky you haven't screwed up your guitars. Using brute force, especially in an area as prone to cracking as the wood surrounding the bushings, is pretty much never the awnser with guirar repair.
                "You put the big round thing over the insert, select the right bolt, stick the washer on the bolt, pass the bolt thru the big round thing and thread bolt into the insert. Then use the wrench to 'tighten' the bolt. The insert will be pulled out and up inside the big round thing."
                That's the best way. And be sure to score the finish around the bushing with an X-Acto knife first to make sure you aren't pulling any chips off.

Comment

Umm..."oops"? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
                  Thanks Jackson1 & Ace - I'll keep that in mind in case I'll have to do it again.

Comment

I'm with Ace; you guys are some lucky mofo's.

Next time, try this home fix:
                    - score around the post with an x-acto knife so the finish doesn't crack
                    - punch a hole in a piece of cardboard the same diameter as the post and slip the cardboard over the post
                    - find a screw/bolt that threads into the post and a big (fender) washer for same
                    - find a socket that fits over the post
                    - put the socket over the post, put the washer on the bolt, and thread the bolt into the post through the socket
                    - tighten the bolt, and the post will pull right out

Comment

Working...
                    X