Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough fret crowns?

Hi.

I just bought Yamaha C-60 classical piece for me and it feels very light and plays fast.

But there is something I noticed. When I bend the string, it wont slide over the fret - it rolls over. I figured out that fret crowns aren't silky smooth. You won't recognize it by touching it with finger, but taking a very close sight, furrows can be seen.

So, I know that this is a mechanical disorder, but I was thinking if this was caused by corrosion, because my brand new strings (from yesterday) become brown in the parts where you push them to the fret. Frets doesn't seem to be rusted.

Furrows are very small and aren't caused with sanding paper (I suppose), because they're everywhere. Even on the separated last fret, which lenght is app. 1 inch altogether.

The seller told me that the guitar was laying in the closet for over 4 years and hasn't been played since then. The guitar is in perfect condition and there's nothing on it that could show her 7 ages of oldness. The bridge is massive, kind of surprising by classical guitar, since I had always problems with classy bridges and all of them were made of plastic. The C-60 has the wooden one.

Ok, any ideas? What could cause furrows on my frets? Corrosion maybe? I bind together the time of her laying in the closet and corrosion. What do you think?

Does this means that I'll have to replace the frets? I wouldn't like to do that, even though I did it once in past time, but it takes me so much work that I'd rather decide for better solution.

Thank you.

Re: Rough fret crowns?

I can't recall the last time I played a classical guitar, but I know it always seemed to me that te strings rolled over when bent up. That's the way nylon strings behave. However, to make sure, get some fretboard/fret cleaner and try to clean the frets. Don't do any fret crowning by yourself, you may just screw the guitar up. Keeping in mind that it's a guitar that's been neglected for the last couple years I'd definetly start with cleaning it. Hope it helps.

Comment

Tape off the fretboard and try a metal polish(chrome) rub it on the frets until the oxidation turns black then take a clean rag and buff the fret.That should get them smoother. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Quick and dirty method, if the frets are otherwise in good shape, leveling wise (sounds like they just need a polish)...

Tape off the fretboard, take a wad of grade 00000 (yes, 5 zeros) steel wool and run it across the frets about 100 times. Afterwards you can still use metal polish, but most people are satisfied after the steel wool.

5 minutes of work, and again, if it´s only a "polish-problem" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

You don't bend strings on a classical! You don't even vibrato the same!

Comment

That's why I don't play classical. Aside from the super wide neck with flat fretboard, I hate the way the strings roll. Give me a steel string any day.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
              You don't bend strings on a classical! You don't even vibrato the same!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree but being an acustic/electric player I just play the same way.
              It's a different world on classical guitar, so if you aim at playing acustic/electric I suggest you get an acustic instead.

Comment

Maybe I forgot to say that I have 6 grades (6 grades means finished in Europe) of classical guitar. And I know, I had Yamaha C-40 and it didn't have that problems.

Comment

I don't like nylon strings, too. What I like is the flat and wide fretboard. My first acustic guitar had a wide and totally flat fretboard. It basicaly looked like a log cut in half (Russian made if you wonder). Since I learned how to play on that, these are the qualities I look for in every guitar.

Comment

Working...
                  X