Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do if your flating your tuning with a F.R.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do if your flating your tuning with a F.R.?

The other day I decided to learn an Alice In Chains. Except this time I wanted to use my RR1 instead of my other guitar with a hard tail piece.
    While I was trying to tune down a half step, I kept finding out that after completing all strings, I still wasn't in tune with the CD. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    After 15 minutes and STILL not able to tune-in to the CD, I noticed the Floyd was now no longer level with the guitar body.
    I then realized, 15 minutes to late that I probably would have never achieved my flat tuning because the floyd was moving as well.
    Each time I tried to re-tune I didn't tighten down the clamp till all the strings, at least I thought, were in tune to the CD.

Question: (being very new to this trem thing)
    How do I tune down (half step or whatever) without the trem recessing in the body?

I guess I could block it but is this always necessary? Needless to say I put it away and played my other guitar. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (

Re: What do you do if your flating your tuning with a F.R.?

When you tune down you put less tension on the bridge, so you have to LOOSEN the trem springs too, so the bridge doesn't fall into the cavity. As to how many screw turns it's hard to say, try one turn first and see what happens. It's all in the experimentation. Every time you loosen the screws tune to pitch and take a look at the bridge. If it's still falling in you need to loosen the screws more. If it raises above the body you have to tighten the screws. That's the way to go: turn the screws - tune - check - correct the screws - tune - check. If you do it rigt you won't have to do it again for ages unless you decide to go back to standard tuning. I hope it helps. If not, we're here to help you out.

Comment

If you are going to tune down, stick something under the bridge, or between the trem block and the body in the rear cavity. This is the major downfall of Floyds. If you set it up to tune down, then you will have to set it up again to tune back to normal pitch. This is a major pain in the buttocks.

Comment

What they said. Use your guitar with a fixed bridge if you want to experiment with different tunings. It IS possible to tune a floyd rose down a half step and have it be in tune, and you should not lock the nut until you are sure that it is in tune, THEN adjust with the fine tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
          If you are going to tune down, stick something under the bridge, or between the trem block and the body in the rear cavity. This is the major downfall of Floyds. If you set it up to tune down, then you will have to set it up again to tune back to normal pitch. This is a major pain in the buttocks.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is a good reason to have several Jacksons with floyds. At least one for each tuning you use. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks very much for the imput, it was all very helpful. There were things mentioned I wasn't aware of. Like the screws that hold the trem in the body cavity. Your right Slash, another Jackson with a trem [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
            I'll just stick to the std 440 tuning and use my other axes. I will give the wedge idea a go though. I dread changing my strings!!! Bye. Thanks again!!

Comment

Well, yes it isn't the best idea to use a Floyd equiped guitar for tuning experiments. Not that it isn't possible, it just takem more time than with a fixed bridge. However, changing strings, tuning to different pitches ans so on, makes you more familiar with the Floyd. It pays back when you have to change a string during a show or a rehersal. Don't avoid any work around Floyded guitars. There'll be a day you'll need it.

Comment

Yeah, don't be afraid to experiment with the FLoyd-there isn't really much you can do to screw it up unless you strip out a screw. I was intimidated by the OFR on my strat for months before I decided to even mess witht hte intonation! ANyway, if you you do screw it up, parts are readily available and aren't too expensive.

Comment

FWIW I wouldn't even bother changing tunings on a Floyd equipped quitar unless it is blocked. It's too much of a hassle, and if you have a guitar with a fixed bridge, use that instead.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

What Alice in Chains songs are you learning?

Comment

Rooster, them bones, would, man in the box, angry chair, we die young, it aint like that, sea of sorrow. Thats it for now. workin on WE.......young.

Comment

That's rad..my favorite ones to play are Them Bones, Would?, Rain When I Die (provided I have a working wah pedal available) and Nutshell...lemme know if you need any help.

Comment

Working...
                        X