my high E string keeps breaking in odd places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my high E string keeps breaking in odd places

ok, so i got my new RR5 a couple weeks ago and i think it had some shitty strings on it. so i play them out, and the high e string breaks in a wierd area. you would think that it would break at the bridge, or the nut, or tuning machine, but no. it broke in the middle of the fretboard, around the 15th fret. is this not uncommon?

so i bought a new pair of of Daddarios and played them for about 5 days, playing for a good 4 hours every day. and it broke in the same exact spot again! the strings were still in great shape, clean, bright, and smooth. why would the string break in such a strange spot?

Re: my high E string keeps breaking in odd places

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Take a closer look at the frets in that area. Are they all smooth? Is one of them shaped in a different way than the others? I'd guess there must be something wrong with one of the frets. Let us know if you spot anything queer.

Comment

What kind of pick do you use? Some people use metal picks and it eats through strings like no other.

Mishaped/placed frets sounds like a good place to start.

Comment

I agree on the frets-string breakage almost always occurs due to some "trauma" to the string. Usually it is due to a burr on the bridge saddle or nut. Bad fret motion is passed.....

Comment

thanks guys, i will check it out

Comment

Working...
            X