What to check for on a used Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to check for on a used Guitar?

Ok, i've been playing with that Greco Les Paul. Everything is fine in my eyes, but i'm wondering what i should check before i give the guy i bought it from a good rating?

there is fret buzzing, but if i raise the bridge, it should be fine.

Re: What to check for on a used Guitar?

Warped neck. Look straight down the bridge to the nut and make sure that the neck is straight. Nothing will complicate intonation more than a fucked up neck.

All pots and switches operate smoothly.

Comment

I'll skip the finish evaluation, as it's obvious. If you raise the bridge, will the guitar still be playable? Some fret buzz isn't a disaster, as long as it's not noticeable when you play it through an amp and the notes don't fret out. Take a look at the frets, are they worn out? Does the guitar tune in every position? That's what I think is important. I'm sure some more experienced guys here will have other clues for you, too.

Comment

Look for botched repair jobs. Tighten the truss rod a 1/4 turn, then loosen it right back to where it was. It should turn fairly easily. Look for a twisted neck, loose frets, stuff like that. Most importantly, look for poorly repaired cracks.

Comment

It depends on where the buzz is, it's severity and register-treble or bass. Could be a simple neck adjustment where relief is needed, a bridge adjustment to raise the action or a little of both. Frets could need a hone and level if there are fret out dead spots.

Guitar Player has put out a 2nd edition book written by Dan Erlewine which covers all the essentials of basic guitar repair and care. This is what it looks like.

GP repair guide

Great book, pretty easy to follow and loaded with information, not very expensive.

Comment

Working...
          X