Recessed or non recessed Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed or non recessed Floyds?

I am about to order a Custom Shop Charvel. I have heard that non recessed floyds have a bigger sustain block thus having more sustain.Any thoughts one this would be appreciated.

Re: Recessed or non recessed Floyds?

Yep, non-recessed Floyds have longer sustain blocks and sit higher off the body (also the neck is tilted back more). It's essentially like how a Les Paul's TOM bridge is higher off the body and neck tilted back. It's all a matter of preference. You'll still be able to pull up on the bar, just not as much as if you had the recessed cavity. I don't think the longer blocks really have more sustain... maybe if you have the Floyd down flush to the body, but then you won't be able to pull back if you want to do that.
    I like both but seem to prefer the non-recessed.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have both types and prefer the non-recessed Floyd. To me is has a different feel, a bit more solid. I like them both but would never buy another recessed Floyd guitar...unless it was really freakin' cool.

Comment

Generally speaking, there are three varients when speaking of Floyds:

Non-recessed 1: Original. The bridge sits above the body so you can still do pull ups. Steep neck angle. Sd/Shannon Soloists. 42 mm block.

Non-recessed 2: The bridge sits basically flat on top of the body, EVH style. No pull-ups. 42 OR 37 mm block. Either will work here. GMWs set up like this use 37s.

Recessed: Counter-sunk into the body so the saddles are lower to the body or closer to the top of the guitar like a v-trem or standard strat bridge. You can thank Steve Vai for this one! 32mm block used here.

Comment

Yeah, I curse Steve Vai on a daily basis for recessed trems! Personally, I can't stand them, I know that a lot of people prefer them. My wish is that guitar manufacturers would offer non-recessed as a factory option. Meaning not only as a custom order option. Soloists etc, done in batches with non recessed trems would sell just as well, if not better, than the recessed crap that is continually churned out en masse.

Comment

Working...
          X