Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even after all this time, I STILL have no use for the tone control.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even after all this time, I STILL have no use for the tone control.

When am I EVER going to need to cut treble frequencies? NEVER! If anything, it should be a mid-sweep knob or something.

Anyways, I've found that I NEVER use the tone control and always keep it on maximum. On my RG560, I've replaced the tone control with an EMG-EXG control when I got my EMGs installed, and it adds a little versatility that I can actually use.

Got me a KE3 that doesn't have a tone control. I'm good there.

Shannon Soloist... the tone control is useless to my needs. I want something different in there, but I can't add an EMG accessory in there, can I? I've currently got passive pickups in there. I'd like some sort of mid-sweep control, ideally. Where could I purchase such a control?

Re: Even after all this time, I STILL have no use for the tone control.

Totally agree with you, NOTP. On my Rhoads guitars i have started removing the tone control knob completely and then moving the two remaining knobs (volume) towards the rear, leaving the space beneath the picking hand clear. That is nice! Now my pinky doesn't bang into a freakin' knob during shredding.

Also when you get old and deaf, you really don't need that tone control [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
      Totally agree with you, NOTP. On my Rhoads guitars i have started removing the tone control knob completely and then moving the two remaining knobs (volume) towards the rear, leaving the space beneath the picking hand clear.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha, I've done exactly the same thing one mine, for exactly the same reason! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Btw, I can't even remember ever using a tone control. At all.

Comment

The tone pots get torn out of every guitar I get. They are completely useless.

Active preamps are far, far more useful. And they don't suck away at your signal.

I also hate the fact that we guitarists are still stuck using high impedence signals. I'd much rather my guitars be made to use low impedence, balanced XLR cables like a microphone. However, that won't be happening anytime soon. Our amplifiers and effects pedals would also have to modified to accept XLR connectors.

Comment

What a bunch of rivetheads!
          Roll the tone control all the way down, drop the gain a ways (probably a LONG ways) and grab a slide.
          That's called "humbled".

Comment

For years I never touched the tone control on my guitars, but now I do every once in awhile, especially on my guitars with EMGs. EMG's regular tone control just seems so much more responsive and useable than a regular passive pickup's tone control.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
              Shannon Soloist... the tone control is useless to my needs. I want something different in there, but I can't add an EMG accessory in there, can I? I've currently got passive pickups in there. I'd like some sort of mid-sweep control, ideally. Where could I purchase such a control?
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can use ANY EMG control (be it one of their guitar or bass accessory circuits) with passive or active pickups. Rick from EMG told me so.

Comment

I have no need for a tone control on any of my shredders either. My Rickenbacker 360MB and the ES325TD that I recently had both required using the tone controls to dial in the perfect sound. I think Les Paul and SG players use their tone controls alot too.

Comment

The only tone control I use is on my Tele' {1K Pot} that does nice "wah" swells, otherwise I don't even touch em'.

Comment

Now that I think about it, you should get a Hamer! Hamer's tone controls are very responsive and made to be used on five as the normal setting. When you back off from five, you cut bass. When you go to ten, you add treble. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
                      What a bunch of rivetheads!
                      Roll the tone control all the way down, drop the gain a ways (probably a LONG ways) and grab a slide.
                      That's called "humbled".
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed, I roll of the tone on my front on my BL Humbucker, sweetest, warmest tone ever. Its like the old maiden front pickup tone and sustains for days.

Hey Number you should get rid of that shannon then. If I were you I would just get something with a single volume then. Give ya 600 for it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to disconnect tone controls when I had passive pickups. When I changed to EMGs I did the same. Currently I have EMG-EXG added to my 85/60 combo. It's much better than a regular tone control.

Comment

Originally posted by LRGman:
                          Hey Number you should get rid of that shannon then. If I were you I would just get something with a single volume then. Give ya 600 for it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Only if it's in the currency of 600 British Pounds. Cha-CHING!!!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                            Toejam, I think I will try an EMG accessory in there then! Thanks for the confirmation!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No problem! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Keep us posted as to what you get. Check out the VMC circuit (Variable Mid Control) which is a concentric circuit made for basses, but someone on this board mentioned they had one and it totally kicked ass in a regular guitar. I might get one of those eventually. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, concentric... wonder if I can get a chrome concentric control to match the regular chrome volume knob on the Shannon. If so, that VMC could be AWESOME. Hmm, I think I shall cruise Ebay for the JE1200 as micha said as well. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X