Ebony Fretboard Cleaning Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony Fretboard Cleaning Help

I notice some white-ish fine marks on my ebony fretboaod. I tried using Dunlop's fretboard cleaners/conditions and it didn't seem to help.

Do you guys out there know what are these fine residue like marks and how to avoid/clean?

Cheers!

Hmm. What type of climate is the guitar kept in? Warm, cold, moist, dry. How often do you condition/clean the fretboard?

Comment

Climate...warm, wet and humid in spring/summer...I do clean it every 3-6 months.

Comment

is this how your fretboard's become ? I know the pic is of a rosewood board but I am assuming your ebony fretboard looks the same.

look at this thread I am posting in.
        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68804

I had the similar problem after using Kyser stringfellow lem oil. I used a cleaning product from walmart which I had used years ago on an Ibanez with amazing results and I used the same on my Dk2's rosewood fretboard. I am assuming what good for the goose is gonna be good for the gander and you can use it for your fretboard too.

Sam

Comment

Murphys oil soap and a toothbrush works too.

Especially when it's that f'd up.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes...that is how it looks...but not as much...

Comment

Just use the De-solv-it and a toothbrush. My Ibanez had similar inlays like the DK2T's and after using this product, I had the guitar with me for almost a year. There was no staining of the inlays and the rosewood was as good as new when I sold the guitar.
              Sam

Comment

will take a look at the link, thanks!...i read in other forum that a guy put some lemon oil (supposedly proper guitar cleaning product) on the board and it got this white-ish things afterwards...

Comment

yup. In that thread I pointed out, a lot of guys recommended the Kyser stringfellow lemon oil. But I absolutely hated those white spots on my fretboard.
                  Sam

Comment

Problem is...i live in Hong Kong and doubt if De-Solve-It is available at supermart here..

Comment

Use bore oil next time!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hksb_alex View Post
                        Problem is...i live in Hong Kong and doubt if De-Solve-It is available at supermart here..
                        oh! Its a "Made in USA" available in Walmart for $2. Not too common for walmart products...:ROTF:
                        Sam

Comment

Do you know what cause those white built-ups?

I need to find the equivalent product....any help?

Comment

maybe i should start using the soft tooth brush with dunlop cleaner and see if it works. any view?

Comment

people who replied to my posting in the thread said that its the product itself. That's why I needed a toothbrush to remove the "offending" product. ugh! One person even recommended to use a window cleaner.

read this thread for more details
                              http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68804
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X