Duncan 59 vs. lil 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan 59 vs. lil 59

I'm a big fan of humbuckers in the neck position, but sometimes a guitar I like is only available with a single at the neck. Given that, how close is the lil 59 as compared to the regular Duncan 59? Is it a good approximation for it's size, of do I need to route away on the guitar? I guess this question would apply to any single coil modelled after a humbucker.

Thanx,
    Peter

Re: Duncan 59 vs. lil 59

It's not *bad*, but not exact. And useless for splitting; I'd only ever use it as a bucker.

Personally, I'd spring for the full size rout (in fact, I did).

Comment

I have a Lil 59 in the neck of a PC3 and love it. It's not the same as a full sized humbucker but it's a very nice pickup.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I used a little 59 in the neck and bridge in a guitar I used to have. Like these guys have said, it is close, but not quite. However, I found it to be very nice when split. It just goes to show that it is always a matter of opinion. I think that it would be better to try the single coil sized humbuckers before routing a guitar. You can always switch pickups, but it is more difficult to fix a routing job gone bad.

Comment

I use a Lil 59 in the neck and really like it. It's close to a humbucker sound, but a little clearer, dosen't mush out like a full size neck position 'bucker can do in a high gain, very fast playing situation.

Comment

I just put a lil '59 in the neck of my fusion special (thanks Travis!). IT is a strange sounding pickup. I have never used a real '59, so I don't know how to compare it. It is not a very hot pickup, but it has a nice kind of bell like tone to it. Mind you, this guitar seems to sound very bright no matter what I put in it. It sounds almost like the tone Adam Sandler has in the wedding singer when he is singing that song with the 335.....very clear, but not brittle like a single coil, yet not as warm or muddy as a regular humbucker. Hope that helps a little.

Comment

Thanx for all the input - I guess I'll have to try one to find out.

Comment

You will like it for sure. It is very clear. Much clearer than the full size version. It REALLY sounds like a neck pickup (if you know what I mean).

Comment

Working...
                X