Single Locking Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Locking Floyd

What do you know about so callled single locking floyd's where you don't clip off the ball end? I have seen them on ebay and I think they are something like the speedloader bridge uses. Are they any good?

No, they are next-to-useless pieces of junk, and nothing like the speedloader at all.

Comment

They're pretty much the same as any other non-locking trem. Don't do too much whammy bar work, and they'll be okay. You may want to even solder the ball end of the strings to help stay in tune more, and replacing the headstock tuners with a set of locking tuners will help as well.
      I'd just stick with a double-locking original Floyd, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I agree ... soldering ball ends seems like alot of work, especially if you change your strings on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          They're pretty much the same as any other non-locking trem. Don't do too much whammy bar work, and they'll be okay. You may want to even solder the ball end of the strings to help stay in tune more, and replacing the headstock tuners with a set of locking tuners will help as well.
          Don't single locking Floyds still lock at the nut, though? What difference would locking tuners make then?

Comment

I think they work fine myself as long as you block the trem and solder the ball ends so the winding won't unravel. At least thats how it seems with some single locking ones I've used.

Comment

Eh as long as you solder the end, which takes MAYBE 2 minutes at the most, you shouldnt have a problem. I beat the living piss out of my Kahlers and they always hold tune no matter what, and theyre single locking systems.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Soldering ball ends is all dandy for a nice single locking system I suppose.

One thing to keep in mind here, is that these bridges will hardly have the quality level of a USA-made Kahler, or a german-made OFR/Schaller. I am very sceptical of this sort of cheapo offerings, with sellers hyping them up to being something they're not. I would expect pot-metal baseplates, wiggly bolts, easilly strippable threads, poor tuning precision, and trem arms working themselves loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  \I would expect pot-metal baseplates, wiggly bolts, easilly strippable threads, poor tuning precision, and trem arms working themselves loose.
                  Then again, that description can describe my jt6, which is why I am looking for a new bridge anyway, and it lasted 20 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by pschust2 View Post
                    Then again, that description can describe my jt6, which is why I am looking for a new bridge anyway, and it lasted 20 yrs.
                    I don't give much for the JT-6, but the guitars they came on were otherwise high quality axes. A well kept model series Charvel for instance, is good enough to warrant a real Floyd IMO.

Comment

The JT6, like most any other FLoyd copy, will hold up for a good long while as long as you're not getting too crazy with it like Vai.

On the other hand, the Lo-Trs of my Ibenhad EX350 lasted about 4 years under such abuse (not daily, but at least monthly) until it would not hold tune due to the knife edges wearing flat.

I've seen old OFRs with the same problem as well, but at least those could be sharpened without having to worry about being one micron too short like some of the knockoffs.

In short, don't be a scrooge when it comes to replacement trems. If an OFR will fit, buy the OFR. Yes, I know they cost $200. So what. They're worth it.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Does anyone know the quality of one of these trems and how well they hold in tune.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html

Comment

I've seen that page before. Still cracks me up.

"...Genuine Licensed Floyd Rose Quality..." :ROTF:

"...Similar to the new Speeloader..."
                          - Yeah right, so that's why it uses a locking nut?

While I suppose it isn't impossible that it is made from hardened steel like they claim, the rest of the text is so full of garbage and salesman's babble that I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I'd rather buy a second hand OFR off of eBay. I also think that the double-locking Gotoh Floyd would be a good alternative - they have gotten good reviews from lots of people.

Comment

Originally posted by ihocky2 View Post
                            Does anyone know the quality of one of these trems and how well they hold in tune.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/blflroflotrs.html

That trem is a single locking one....don't waste your time. Look for a used OFR or similar on ebay as Sunbane suggested. Even this double lock licensed would be better and $10 cheaper than that single lock one:
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-Rose-licen...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                            X