EMG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's

Ok, I'm putting a EMG 85 at the bridge, what should i put in the neck?

i was thinking of getting a Single coil one and putting a Gold cover over both the 85 and the single coil one. Another Question. My current Pickups have Gold Covers, I'm wondering if those are attached to the P/U's, or seperate? I don't want to tear the guitar apart yet.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

what would you do?

I barely use the neck pick up, but i want something there!

This is all going into my 1990 Greco Les Paul copy.

Thanks.

Re: EMG\'s

I'd go with Duncan Hot Rails or EMG SA's in the neck.. since 85's are fairly high in output, you want something with relatively close output in the neck position, otherwise when you switch pups from bridge to neck you're going to have a pretty big volume drop.

Comment

I checked out the Hot Rail, I'm guessing its passive?

Would that make it off balance with the 85?

Comment

it shouldn't be a significant difference.. its passive but it has high output. You should check the websites for the output levels if they have them.

Comment

If you can put a humbucker sized pickup in the neck position, go with EMG 60. I have that combo and sounds great. The other option is 81 or you can go with 89, then you'd have a humbucker and a single coil in the neck.

Comment

I'm with you I don't like owls either.I think they are true evil.They don't have a$$ holes,how weird is that?I'd go with a 60 in the neck bro'its a great combo.Just find some after market covers and see if they will slide over the pickup.I think you may have a problem there but it might work. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

85 bridge, 60 or 81 neck. If you want a single coil sound in the neck, they do make single coil pups in humbucker housing... the H and HA models. Kirk Hammett uses an 81 in the bridge of his Rhoads with an H in the neck. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
              Or just go with two 89s and you can use either a push/pull or a mini switch to go into single coil mode.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Also, if you're going to mix actives and passives, you'll need two different pots. EMGs use 25k pots, passives use 250k or 500k (or even 1meg.) You'd probably also want to get some kind of a preamp booster for the passive pup to get it closer to the same output as the active. I recommend against mixing active and passive pups and say stick with one or the other.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll give another strong recommendation for the EMG-89 in the neck. I currently have the EMG-85 in the bridge and the EMG-89 in the neck which is splittable with the push-pull volume knob in my KE3. If I had my way, I'd have two push-pull volume knobs and two EMG-89s in that guitar for some wicked versatility.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I'll have to check them out.

Do they sell the EMG H separate? I might just go for the 81.

Comment

Yes, I believe you can buy any EMG product separately. Maybe with one or two exceptions. Don't buy from EMG directly, though. Their list prices are an overkill. If you're not sure if you'll like it, go on eBay and get it cheaper.

Comment

Hey Richard, I do like owls, they are so secretive. That quotation comes from Twin Peaks TV series directed by David Lynch.

Now, on the pickups. I don't think mixing passives with actives is a good thing, unless you have them as separate circuits. I love 60 in the neck so much, that I keep postponing checking out 81 in that position. How good is that for a recommendation?
                        I also use the Guitar Expander EXG, it gives 60 the single coilish sound. Very nice.

Comment

I'm building a Zakk L.P.copy(70s Jap body)85 in the neck and 81 in the bridge and IMO the tone sucks. 85s need to be in the bridge.But thats what the guy wants.I think an 89 in the neck and 85 in the bridge would be the way to go but what do I know I just build 'em. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                          X