Changing a JT580LP to OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing a JT580LP to OFR

Hey....I just got a early Jackson Kelly Pro Std. and it has the JT580LP in it.

I want to replace the trem with an OFR...

Here is my question: Do I need to replace the studs and bushings along with the trem or should it be a direct replacement? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ?

If I am forgetting something, please let me know [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Also, which pups were standard for this guitar. All they have on them is Jackson printed on the pups.

Re: Changing a JT580LP to OFR

nope, at least for me...I just dropped it right in there on a DK-2. I also did the same using the JT-6 bushings and posts on an Ontario (San Dimas plated) Jackson.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

I would guess that the original pickups in that model Kelly is a JH-2 or JH-3 (bridge) and J-50N (neck). They are probably labeled on the back side.

If your Kelly has those pickups, a big improvement could be made by swapping them with some quality pups. They are flat and lifeless sounding. That is just my opinion.

/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Trem should drop in no problem, like Shawn said. As for the pickups, I don't know what the stock pups were in the Kelly Std., as I didn't own mine for very long, but there should be some kind of sticker on the back of them. Pull them out to see what they say. My Kelly XLR did have an import JH-2 in the bridge and a USA J50N in the neck, though. Not sure if the same would follow suit for the other import Kellies. The J50N is pretty awesome, the JH-2 I thought was okay.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Heh, 2 minutes too late, Joe [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

/Henrik
          Henrik

Comment

Yeah, I see that. LOL [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Interesting that we don't agree on the sound of those pickups. I had them in my Rhoads Pro ´93 and was astonished when i finally pulled the active electronics + these pickups from the guitar and installed a Screamin Demon and then later 2 x EMG85's. The improvement was quite big.

/Henrik
              Henrik

Comment

I took those pups out of my Kelly and put in a couple Invaders (talk about bass punch and low mids! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). I wound up trading that guitar anyway. The JH-2 is still laying around, so I don't really remember much of how that sounds, but I put the J50N in the neck of one of my string-thru Dinkies with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge (tuned down to D), and it sounds very nice! The Tone Zone is a little dark and I've been debating on putting in a Super Distortion. Though, someone has expressed interest in buying it, so I'll probably leave those pups in it.
                The USA Jackson pups seem to be pretty decent, though many people feel otherwise.

Comment

Will the saddles of a floyd original or 1000 fit in the JT580LP?
                  are there any hardened stee saddle upgrades that will fit, or is replacement the only option..?

Comment

Nope. Completely different saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by triminmotion View Post
                      Completely different saddles.
                      Correct. But, what happens if you replace all six of them.

Comment

I happen to have a JT-580LP laying around that I just replaced with an OFR. So I took and old standard Floyd saddle and tried it. It won't work. The saddle itself will fit, but due to the angle of where the fine tuners are the bolt that locks the string in place won't thread in. I have wondered if the Floyd Rose Lo-Pro saddles will work. They look similar.
                        1000 Series Pro Saddle Set – Floyd Rose
                        1000 Series Pro Tremolo System – Floyd Rose

Comment

Working...
                        X