Chip on the back of the neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip on the back of the neck.

Ok i finally got my Greco Les Paul, and there is a little chip on the back of the neck.

What would you guys use to fill it and smooth it out so you can feel it?

thanks

Mike

Re: Chip on the back of the neck.

If it's only the topcoat and not the paint that's chipped, I've heard of using superglue-type adhesive to fill it in. Stew-Mac actually has a wide variety of cyanoacrylates in different consistencies for the purpose of filling in chips. I've never done it myself though, but surely someone here must have done it before!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
      and smooth it out so you can feel it?

thanks

Mike
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">but, can you not feel it now? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry ,dude! How deep is it? If you want it done right, take it to a pro. If ya just want to get by for some gigs,then sand the area down and add some spot filler in it! It works! Or if it is a small dent down in the wood, a couple drops of water MIGHT raise it up some. Just a thought!

Comment

Yeah, maybe try what Rikrok said. Not sure how big the ding is, but try a little water with a damp cloth, put a hot iron over the cloth and see if you can raise it up a little.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

its not that big, its kind of deep though. I was just thinking about filling it and the cutting off the excessive stuff.

thanks

Comment

&gt; Is this a dent in raw wood or in a clearcoat or finish? If it's a dent,where no clearcoar is present,it can be succesfully swollen out with water/spit over a week or so,or speeded up by using an artificial heat source,such as rubbing friction or a heat gun,soldering iron,or even a butter knife heated with a lighter. I use this technique for removing dents in pool cue shafts almost daily and it works. First,take a soft lead pencil and lightly color in the dent,this will make it easier to see during the next step. Take a small (1" square or so) piece of white t-shirt material and lightly dampen it,and place it over the dent,and pat it down firmly,so you can see the colored spot thru the material. Heat a butter knife from the kitchen up with a lighter,and lightly touch the cloth with the tip,the heat from the knife blade will cause the water in the cloth to heat up,and STEAM the dent right out. You'll hear the the same noise that pushing the steam button on a household iron makes,letting you know that enough heat was generated. Remove the cloth,and wipe the area dry. Check your progress,and repeat if necessary,being careful to not overswell it,wood has a mind of it's own when heated or water is applied,but there is absolutely no danger of warping the neck this way. Once you get it back close,you can lightly sand the back of the neck and reseal/oil to your liking,leaving no trace of the repair,unless you hold the heating tool on too long and burn the wood. It only takes 3-5 seconds contact time to get most dents out,perhaps repeating 2-3 times for a large dent. There are also ways to fill in the crevice left if the dent is in a clearcoat/paint type finish,most are better left to someone with expertise in that field. I've never done one like that on a guitar,but have filled in areas where the clearcoat was chipped on a pool cue,and filled with super glue and buffed to match,using those 3-surface nail buffers and several grades of polishing compound. The cyanoacrylate "super" glues are capable of amazing things,and if treated properly,can be buffed to a shine on par with any clearcoat made. Tommy D.
              "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I wouldn't bother trying to "fix it" at all. I'd just play the damn guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                  I wouldn't bother trying to "fix it" at all. I'd just play the damn guitar.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sunbane may just be right. The woman doesn't have to be pretty to be playable. I meant the guitar, of course. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Most likely the back of your neck is finished, which would make it impossible to steam out the dent. That works best when working with unfinished wood. Put a few drops of cyano(superglue) in there and sand it smooth with 400 grit sandpaper.

Comment

Thanks. The chip is just paint, i don't see wood exposed, I'll try some glue.

Woudn't sand paper scatech up the rest of the neck?

Comment

Working...
                      X