How Low is too Low - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Low is too Low - Part 2

With a few drop tuning & 7 string players here, I'm sure someone has this issue -
    I don't play dropped or 7 string, in fact I play 6 strings, 9 gauge, standard tuning. I recently got a new poweramp, a killer VHT 2902. It can shatter windows with its' depth and kill small mammals & birds. My problem: I can rumble my 4X12 cab so LOW, it loosens cable connections in my rack! So my sound sputters at high volumes. I thought I blew my cab, but it happens on another cab too. If I turn down a bit, everthing is fine, but that's no fun! [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Here's my ideas for solutions: rubber feet on the rack to cushion and disperse vibrations. Compression fitted gold cables to all my rack gear.

Anyone else experienced this TOO LOW problem? I wonder if you can literally shake a tube to the point of shattering it internally or externally?

Re: How Low is too Low - Part 2

While I suppose you _could_ shake a tube bad enough to mess up the internals, you'd have to be playing damn loud, I'd suspect. I did have a less-severe version of this problem with my old rig, although it's not much of an issue since I changed amps - I get a good amount of "fullness" without cranking the bottom end. I used to be able to rattle the back of my 4-12 just by muting a 2nd position F#!

Here's an option - a Mesa shock rack. the rack rails are mounted to an internal chassis, which is then mounted on springs. That would solve your vibration problem...

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I thought about that too. The damn cheap rack is heavy, adding 5 lbs of anti-shock hardware may get the hernia I've been looking for. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Set your rack on a piece of foam or a pillow. Screw plastic washers under your rack ears. I've never had this problem, and I use a VHT 2150 and guitars tuned to C, but if I did notice cables wiggling loose, these are the things I would try first. Also make sure that all the cables in your rack are long enough that there is no pull on them.

Comment

Working...
        X