carving a body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving a body?

I want a Lynch Mr. Scary guitar so bad I can't see straight, but I can't really afford a J. Frog right now, sooo how hard is it to carve a body? Also, does anyone know anyone that makes copies? Also, how do I get this Irfanview to post a pic???
    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Re: carving a body?

"Carving" a body would be damn near impossible to do right, and would take months. 90% of guitars are rough cut then sanded into shape. While obviously not impossible, making guitar bodies that actually WORK does require a fair amount of skill. I've made several guitar bodies, all of which work. Making your own guitar body can be a challenging and rewarding experience. However, it is not easy at all, and unless you have adequate woodworking skills, some sort of reference of how to build guitars(a book or five) and plenty of time and patience, you will probably not get the desired result.

Warmoth makes custom order bodies any way you want them. Also you can contact a quality independent luthier to build whatever dream guitar you want, but it will cost you much more than just about any production guitar.

I don't understand the last part of your question, but my advice is to check eBay for the guitar you are looking for and start saving. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The difficulty is all in how much sculpting you've done before. I could work hard on one guitar graphic for a year, but I'm not a good artist and it would still come out worse than something Dan Lawrence could throw together on his lunch break. If you're a good sculptor, or know one, it would be relatively trivial to get the body made.

Irfanview doesn't post pics. If you want to put a picture up somewhere you have to upload it to a server then link to it. If you look around the forum there's probably a topic about uploading your avatar. Same concept applies.

Ace: He's talking about the old George Lynch 'skull and bones' guitars. Those things had hand-carved bones on them. Like this:

Comment

Bro here's one I made myself ENJOY!!!!

Kammo1 [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ March 31, 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]

Comment

[img]

Comment

Maybe this will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammo1:
              Maybe this will work.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There you go.... If you're having trouble with the tags, try using the "Instant UBB Code" buttons, you just paste in your url and it'll create it for you. As for the axe, nice job. How long did that take you to come up with?

Comment

Here you go....
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Oops. Sorry, Inearthed, your pic didn't show up at first until after I had done the same thing.
                  [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Hi the whole guitar took me about 2 weeks from start to finish. I have even scalloped the frets like Lynch's from the 10th upwards although it isn't to clear in the pics. The guitar body was carved from a solid piece of alder and there is definately no stick on bones anywhere on this guitar.I am a massive George Lynch fan and any body who is this is a must have guitar, yep I agree they are very expensive to buy from ER Guitars but I made my own and to some degree am happy with it. Also it has a EMG 81 in the bridge and this thing totally smokes the sound of this guitar is amazing and is definately a keeper. I am planning to build 4 more for my own pleasure as they are so cool and when I get bored with them I'll just get rid. Kammo1 [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

The only pic I can see is Black Mariah's, why are the other ones not coming up on my screen?
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Kammo1

Comment

Ok, now I can scroll like a mother but I'm guessing a Dremel scroll saw won't do the job on a 1 and 3/4 inch body blank...do you use a band saw or something?

Also, about the depth...carving, tremolo, neck pocket, how did you figure all that out? Your's looks pretty close as far as scale and overall shape. Did you freehand it?

Comment

Ok, I figured it out, dude that is frikkin' awesome! That's what I want to do right there!

Comment

Firstly I cut the basic outline with a bandsaw then I tidied all the edges around making them nice and square. I then freehand draw the design and then when this was done I carved it all out by hand using files,gouges and whatever I had to get the correct depth. Then I sanded all the bone parts with sandpaper to give them the rounded look. P-up and trem cavities were cut as you would do a conventional guitar with the appropriate templates as would be the neck pocket.
                              When this was done and satisfacory I painted it using acrylics and laquer and voila one nice looking bones!! Golden rule it helps to be a custom guitar maker with over 20 years experience
                              [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Kammo1

Comment

Working...
                              X