screw in whammy bar problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screw in whammy bar problem

I have a RR3 which i love [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but the damn screw in whammy bar keeps coming loose after a few minutes of use so i am thinking of putting some locktight on the threads to really secure it in place but if i do that the top of the hardcase that i recieved with the guitar when closed pushes down on the bar so pushing the floyd rose down a little bit. I seem to remember reading on some forum a while ago that this is not a good idea to leave the whammy arm on when stored in the case for some reason.
    Do any of you guys store your guitars like this and if its not a good idea to do it, any ideas how to keep the screw on the whammy bar secure.

Thanks

Darren

Re: screw in whammy bar problem

Absolutely DO NOT leave the whammy on if you are going to close the lid on your case.

Try a different whammy bar on there and see what it does.

Matt

Comment

If I understand you right, you might want to try Teflon tape on the threads.

Comment

I always remove the whammy when placin the guitar in a case.

Comment

what kind of idiot closes a case with a trem arm still on? what kind of case closes with the trem arm still on ? lol

Comment

I would recommend getting rid of the screw in whammy bar altogether.

I got rid of the screw in bar and collar and got a JT-6 arm and collar from Easton guitars. This works much better.

DRH

Comment

What all trems does the collar and arm fit???
              I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                what kind of idiot closes a case with a trem arm still on? what kind of case closes with the trem arm still on ? lol
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I believe there's some Fenders and EB/MM guitars that have cases that will accomodate the guitars with the bars on.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Pulverizer:
                  If I understand you right, you might want to try Teflon tape on the threads.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, what he said! Or try some dental floss (use the minty kind to make it smell nice). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dang it!!! ADMINs moved the topic while I was trying to reply! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I wasn't sure what the hell happened. Here we go again. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

DO NOT PUT LOCKTITE ON THE THREADS!!! Sorry for yelling, but I thought it necessary. First off Locktite wont do anything at all after you unsrew it for any reason. Which you have to do when putting it away!!!!!!! Once it comes loose it does nothing. It doesn't make it tighter, it makes it not move at all. With that logic you might as well weld it in place. uh... dont do that either [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If you have a tap and die set, you could try running those over the threads and it might rough them up a little, but I doubt it. You could us a helicoil, but thats kind of a pain in the ass. I would just live with it, but I like my tremolo arm loose.

Comment

I use teflon tape.
                      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, I believe there's some Fenders and EB/MM guitars that have cases that will accomodate the guitars with the bars on. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I accidentally closed the case on my SL1 with the whammy bar on.. it fit fine, though I was pissed when I opened the case and saw I left it on.

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson:
                          What all trems does the collar and arm fit???
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My guitar has the JT-500 bridge. All I had to do was remove the arm and unscrew the collar. The new collar is two pieces, put the collor in on the top of the bridge, and the nut goes on from underneath.

DRH

Comment

I'm not real sure which bridge mine is...it's a Jacksn JD-R.

Comment

Teflon tape bro... that is the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X