tremolo maintenance questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tremolo maintenance questions

1. What do I need to do to keep a floyd trem, namely 580LP, working well? Do I need to disassemble it and clean it often?

2. If the knife edges are worn, can I file them smooth? Anyone have experience on this?

3. Are there baseplate, trem post replacement parts for sale for the JT580LP?

4. I've heard that the 580LP is not made of hardened steel, How quickly will it wear down if I practice Vai trem style everyday?

The OFR replacements are a bit pricey for me. I hope I can get away with the 580LP if I maintain it well. But if it's going to go bust after 1 vai song I guess I'll have to pay up [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

5. Are the fender manufactured OFRs a good product?

I've never owned a guitar with a trem before, so please bear with me.

Re: tremolo maintenance questions

I can't comment as to the durability of a 580, but in general, Floyds require very little maintanence to perform well. I like to take mine apart once a year or so to clean out dust and grime. You can wipe it down with a rag that is sprayed with WD40 to keep it from tarnishing.

Replacement posts should be the same as the ones for the OFR. The baseplate is most likely different. YOu should be able to file down the edges slightly if they become worn. If you are not comfortable with that, 580's seem to go on EBAY fairly cheap so it is not expensive to replace.

The Fender OFR is THE OFR-Fender owns the rights to it, so it is the only one available. The OFR or the Schaller semm to be very popular ones.

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      Thanks for your answers etaeniura.

Comment

you are quite welcome.

Comment

Working...
        X