Velvet Hammer Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velvet Hammer Pickups?

I failed to see in that link where it said he wound the pickups. Did I miss something? Thanks for your response.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Re: Velvet Hammer Pickups?

I've read a couple of interviews with Joan Jett where she said that's the only pickup she uses. IIRC, they were used in lower-end Gibsons in the 70's, Melody Makers and such. Don't quote me on that, I'm not completely sure what they came in.

Comment

That sounds about right, since just about all Joan Jett has played are Melody Makers.

Comment

Velvet Hammer Pickups?

I recently acquired a cool Jackson Dinky and the bridge humbucker has been replaced with a "Velvet Hammer" pickup. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It's black, with exposed round pole pieces (no flat head screw driver adjustable poles) and the words "Velvet Hammer" scripted onto each coil. Underneath there are no markings or indicators. Doesn't look cheap, and it sounds ok, was wondering if anyone had heard of these and what's the story on 'em?
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Here is all I could find. A guy named Red Rhodes hand winds them. They seem to be associated with other high end pickups so you might have a nice score there Joe. Velvet Hammer Info

Comment

Here ya go....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320278823011

The last velvet hammer that I saw on ebay went for about $400 and that was for just one pickup. I'm fortunate enough to own a pair myself and there's no way I would come off of them. Best sounding pickups ever. Tons of tone with split coil on or off.

Comment

Late 70's pick ups that all I remember.

Comment

Working...
              X