Does this pickup exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this pickup exist?

If not, then I just invented it. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

First, there's the traditional humbucker. Most can be tapped to single-coil, but giving a 60-cycle hum in the process.

Second, there's the stacked humbucker. It fits in a standard Strat-style single pickup space. These tend to have that classic single-coil "bite" but with a higher output.

So.... why not have one that splits between traditional humbucker and a stacked humbucker? That would be the best of both worlds for some of us.

Does anyone already make this?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Does this pickup exist?

Congratulations.... I have never seen one... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by slash:
      Congratulations.... I have never seen one... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe I should save this thread in case Seymour Duncan or Larry DiMarzio are lurking!
      [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Definetly copyright that, Tube! Don't forget to mention me as a witness that YOU invented it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

PT,

First of all ...KUDOS!...I think you've stumbled onto a very interesting new design!!...BUT

My question would be this...
          How would you arrange the magnets? Would you not develop hum with a magnet right next to the "C" coil? Or better question, would you get true north and south with the magnets in an odd arrangement like that?

Don't worry...I'm a witness too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Isn't this basically how the triple coils used by Ibanez and Hamer work? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Does anyone already works for Seymour Duncan? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ March 26, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: morbid ]

Comment

Why not go nuts and include a fourth coil? Perhaps that one can be a sustainer. Endless tone possibilities there. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And if you are using the sustainer as one of the coils, I automatically receive 50% of your profits! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think technically, by posting it here instead of trying to copyright it, you've more or less forfeited any copyright possibilities.

Then again, i'm not a lawyer, I just impersonate one on the web.

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                    Isn't this basically how the triple coils used by Ibanez and Hamer work? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's what I thought. Washburn had one of those triple-bucker things on their Rhoads copy, too.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Didn't those triple-bucker things have the coils lying side by side in a 3x1 array rather than that L-shaped arrangement PowerTube drew out?

Comment

Yes, they did, but I believe the concept was basically the same as Power Tube is thinking. Maybe I'm mistaken, as I don't remember about them too much. Still, PT's idea would be a cool, unique design.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Imagine the huge route in your guitar body though... jeez... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

This would be a patent issue, not copyright, IIRC.

Also, this has been "done before", but never produced for sale. It's been discussed (I think on the AMPGE pickup forum). But from another direction - mounting 2 stacked single coils side by side and then wiring it to gain the flexibility you mention. Same basic end effect, though particulars like magnet poles vs. screw poles/magnet underneath may differ.

It IS a good idea, IF you like the compromises. With my setup, the wiring complexity would just push an already complicated setup "over the top" with marginal gain. The dummy coil would weaken the output of the stacked side, so that side should be fairly hot & use magnet polepieces IMO. So you'd have either a beefy overwound humbucker in the end, or an uneven one ala a DiMarzio Steve's Special.

Pretty cool thinking...

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I have a couple of other ideas which I do plan to patent eventually, ideas much more earth-shattering than this one. In fact, the couple I plan to incorporate will dramatically change the way electric guitars are designed and also improve the quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X