Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing bolt-on neck

Hi.

I had a flash of wit to set my guitar a little bit, since there's so much time between the last modifications and settings.

So I was thinking about removing the neck and fully clean the groove space for the neck and neck itself.

Does removing it affects to my intonation settings, without any tremolo and string gauge changes? Installing it back on the guitar, tuning string to proper pitch is enough to not be worried?

Thanks.

Re: Removing bolt-on neck

Originally posted by Immortal:
    Hi.

I had a flash of wit to set my guitar a little bit, since there's so much time between the last modifications and settings.

So I was thinking about removing the neck and fully clean the groove space for the neck and neck itself.

Does removing it affects to my intonation settings, without any tremolo and string gauge changes? Installing it back on the guitar, tuning string to proper pitch is enough to not be worried?

Thanks.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You should be go to go.... but it's easy to check the intonation if you are worried about it.

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you mean clean out the neck pocket itself? I guess you could do that if you think it needs it, but I don't think it'll do much good, unless the two sides (the neck pocket and the opposing neck side) aren't smooth for some reason. Then, you might want to work on making sure there is as much contact as possible. IMO, I would leave well enough alone. But it's not going to change the intonation settings. At most, it might need a slight truss adjustment, but most likely not.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

A good guitar kept in a case with silica gel for humidity control will stay stable. I bought my Les Paul new in 1978
        and I can't recall having to adjust intonation or the truss rod in all that time, 26 years. It has gone from humid hot Mississippi to dry Southern California and back as well.

If your guitar gets out of intonation you
        will hear that it's out of tune. I think
        if it ain't broken, don't fix it; you may break it trying to fix what ain't broken.

BTW, loosen the strings before you unbolt the neck! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm confused. I don't know why you need to clean out the neck pocket.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler:
            I'm confused. I don't know why you need to clean out the neck pocket.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i'm with ya. completely unnecessary.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well, for guys like me, who lick their necks and fingerboards to turn the chicks on, you gotta get in there every once in a while. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Can't let that build up, you'd have a microcosm of bacteria growing in your neck pocket! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I didn't say that I will do it. I just said that I thought to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                  Well, for guys like me, who lick their necks and fingerboards to turn the chicks on, you gotta get in there every once in a while. [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Can't let that build up, you'd have a microcosm of bacteria growing in your neck pocket! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Joe! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Let the germs grow! Everybody knows that tongue germs grow MOJO, baby!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Er, you may want to spray the neck joint with Binaca or Sweet Breath once in awhile though! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I need to remove a neck too. I've got an old Peavey Tracer in banana yellow and the low E string is too close to the top of the fretboard. Likewise, the high string has plenty of room. I was thinking that I can take the neck off, shim in the top part of the neck pocket and straighten it back out. Any thoughts?
                    I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Maybe if you ate your dinner off it, it might get a bit grungy in there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
                      Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks Sully, fixed it right up, I wish everything was that easy to fix. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                        I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by quadperson:
                          I need to remove a neck too. I've got an old Peavey Tracer in banana yellow and the low E string is too close to the top of the fretboard. Likewise, the high string has plenty of room. I was thinking that I can take the neck off, shim in the top part of the neck pocket and straighten it back out. Any thoughts?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unscrew the bolts about 1/2 way, shift the neck in the direction you need to go, then retighten. should take care of it for ya.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

no problem, chief.

sully
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by quadperson:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unscrew the bolts about 1/2 way, shift the neck in the direction you need to go, then retighten. should take care of it for ya.

sully
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">WAIT A MINUTE!! The problem that he described was with his action, and the fix that you gave him was for neck alignment!! If the strings are too close to the fretboard, you need to adjust your action at the bridge, DO NOT shim your neck crooked!!

Also to remove a neck you don't need to loosen the strings. If you don't have a locking nut, put on a capo at the first fret, take the neck off, do what you must, and when you put it back on you'll be about a half step flat.

Comment

Working...
                              X