Paint makes a defference, yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint makes a defference, yes or no?

Does it matter what type of paint I use to paint a guitar or any will do? I just wan't to know if I should take something in consideration for the sound.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Yes, but it is so minimal that the moment you plug it into an amp it'll all disappear, just like that. Hell I'm sure I wouldn't even hear the difference acoustically.

I say go for esthetics over "tone" in the paint department.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Great... I´m not thinking on painting one of my guitars for now, but it was just something that I´ve allways had in my head to know.
      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

Thick poly smothers tone.

Comment

Nitro cellulose lacquer breaths and moves with the wood and lets the sound out polyurethane does kind of hamper tone but plugged in its all in the amp.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            Nitro cellulose lacquer breaths and moves with the wood and lets the sound out polyurethane does kind of hamper tone but plugged in its all in the amp.
            I agree nitro is better than poly, but I don't agree that once plugged in, it's "all in the amp" ...

I agree you can maybe "compensate" through your amp for loss of tone, but the type of paint and the number of coats do make a difference IMO.

Comment

I feel that a lot of coats will make a guitar dead sounding IMO. I'm sure there are also differences in types of paint as well, maybe not os obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                I feel that a lot of coats will make a guitar dead sounding IMO. I'm sure there are also differences in types of paint as well, maybe not os obvious.
                I have heard the same that a lot of coats of paint can deaden the sound. My 1988 Telecaster has a minimal amount of paint and was ordered that way by the original owner for that reason. Personally, I don't have two of the same to tell but when you're playing in band, there is so much 'other' stuff going on that has a bigger impact.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

There is absolutely no difference in a painted guitar versus one that is stripped to the bare wood. I have had many damaged guitars without paint that were stripped to the bare wood (white single hum Rhoads in the Gallery for ex.) and played and sounded wonderfully stripped down. Had them repaired and refinished and there was no difference. I've even had a painted guitar painted over again with new paint without removing the original underneath (or the clear!) and again, absolutely no difference. I suppose if you gobbed on layer after layer in a ridiculous amount you might notice, but within normal limits you will not experience a difference, and I am a slave to tone, trust me...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The answer is subject to personal opinion.
                    I think we can all agree on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                      I'd always heard and believed that as well but then I acquired all of those metal flake GMPs with massively thick poly and they're some of the most live sounding axes I've ever played. They might be even better with thin finishes but I tend to think the wood, design and quality of components and build have a lot more to do with the tone than the type or thickness of the finish.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

In reality, even a "thick" flake job ends up at only around 7 to 8 mils thick including the primer. (a mil is 1/1000th of an inch). I think it would take a coating a lot thicker than that to really start screwing with the tone.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I spray bombed my Model 2 a few years ago and noticed no difference in tone. I did notice though that I am not a painter!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockinloud View Post
                            I spray bombed my Model 2 a few years ago and noticed no difference in tone. I did notice though that I am not a painter!

Comment

www.godwentpunk.com
                              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Working...
                              X