• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String slippage on DK2

Hey all,

I have a Jackson DK2 (not the latest model, but the one before) that
    I have a little bit of problem with...
    I just changed out the 580LP floyd to a new schaller 590 because the 580 wouldnt stay in tune at all after diving or pulling.
    Now all strings stays in tune really great EXCEPT for the low E!
    Its like its slipping in the nut or something, because when I divebomb it will stay in tune but when I directly after, bend the E-string really hard it will go flat! and its only the E-string, the other strings remain in tune even if I hang on them. I use 12-52 gauge and tune down the whole guitar to C.
    What can cause this?

I have tried to tighten the screws at the nut but it doesnt help.
    i have also noticed that if I lock the nut down and move the tuning peg for the E the pitch will rise and go low just a bit. (like 20c).

The blocks for the nut are not worn at all because I have barely used this guitar at all...
    any ideas?

/Sebastian

www.eventideweb.com

Is the nut base itself tight?You may have movement.Maybe the locking pad screw has been changed and is a hair too long and bottoming out on the neck.This will cause the locking pad to remain somewhat loose.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Alright, the nutbase. I will check.
      I recently changed the screws for the locking pads from a schaller because I stripped one... maybe thats the problem... but I thought they were equal?

Can the string-gauge cause this kind of problem as I noticed that the angle of the string when it goes through the nut looks kind of sharp... It looks like the clamp only takes 3/4 of the string... ahh.. I dont know.

Thanks for the tip Straycat, will look into it.

/Sebastian

www.eventideweb.com

Comment

Okey,
        The screws for the nutbase is tight. I swapped the whole base for a Schaller one to see if that was the problem but its the same thing.
        I tightened all the screws for the tuners. (Even though it shouldnt matter).
        I also tried to hold the string more straight when locking it down with the clamps. Nothing works... im so frustrated right now.
        I got a second DK2 thats exactly the same besides the color and it doesnt slip the strings... so weird!

www.eventideweb.com

Comment

i don't know if the string is making contact with the base very well, go look at the string is there and space between the string itself and the base. If there is then you need to sand down the groove until the string hits the bottom mostly, for the locking nut to work.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Check your retainer bar and make sure you have enough downward angle coming off the nut.
            Tighten the (2) retainer screws if needed to create more of an angle.
            This should help the slippage.

Comment

A DK2 with a retainer? (scratches head) They don't have one, afaik.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                A DK2 with a retainer? (scratches head) They don't have one, afaik.
                Your right ... my bad.
                You gotta admit it sounded good.

Comment

Also, make sure that the locking pad is on correct. The raised area must run parallel to your strings for it to fit correctly.
                  MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
                    Yep, the pads are on correct.
                    The guitar hasnt been played at all so there shouldnt be any grooves.
                    And no, there is no space between the string and the clamp...
                    Im starting to wondering if the nut itself is moving. Although I have tightened the bolts for the nut.
                    Can the the nut move around like that?
                    And what should I do in that case?
                    Glue it down?

www.eventideweb.com

Comment

Still sounds like the screw that holds the pad down is making contact with the neck underneath the nut or if there is a shim under the nut causing the allen screw not to clamp the strings with enough force to hold them in place.
                      Are all the allen screws the same length?
                      Don't glue it down.The nut can move sometimes if the holes for the screws have become too large from taking the nut off and on.Or if the screws holding the nut base are too small.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey,

Yep, the allen screws are the same lenght. And they are the same lenght as the original. (Swapped them out for some schallers, see previous post) Have tried to swap the screws and pads with eachother but with no success.
                        The nut has been on and off one time.. thats when I tried a schaller nut instead to see if it was the nut that was worn. Oh, and no shims that I could see

Maybe your right when it comes to the screws that holds the base.
                        They seem kind of tiny. Especially compared to the schallers that is at least double the lenght and width. Even my charvels have those tiny screws, but atleast its 4 of them holding the base.

If I tried a set of longer screws, how long can they be before I ruin something.
                        Are they supposed to just go into the rosewood part of the wood or longer? (i.e. Into the maple aswell?)

www.eventideweb.com

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                          i don't know if the string is making contact with the base very well, go look at the string is there and space between the string itself and the base. If there is then you need to sand down the groove until the string hits the bottom mostly, for the locking nut to work.
                          I would recomend against filing the string slots. First, good ones should have the slots hardened. So filing is going to be difficult. Secondly, once you file through the hardened area, the remaining material is going to wear very quickly.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies,
                            Im just going to leave it as is.
                            I have noticed now that all of my guitars do this (the low E slips), more or less.
                            I think it has to do with the gauge or something.
                            Even my USA made Soloist do it, so I dont think its something that I can improve.
                            Maybe im too much of a perfectionist when it comes to my guitars.
                            Anyway thanks!

www.eventideweb.com

Comment

Working...
                            X