No announcement yet.

Question for the resident amp techs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the resident amp techs....

I think you need one of those power attenuaters-I think Marshall makes the power brake, and I think THD makes one. They let you run your amps at higher volumes, but attenute the amount of power going to your speakers. I thought they only used them for tube amps though....

Re: Question for the resident amp techs....

Actually, my problem is that I run 2 heads, and one runs my talkbox. It's a 100 watt head and fries 50 watt talkboxes fairly regularly. I could look for a 50 watt version of the Laney PL I'm using, but they're extremly hard to find. I thought there might be some sort of solid state tweak I could do to get the wattage down.

Comment

On a 100 watt tube amp, you can pull two of the output tubes and run the speaker ohmage at half and have around 50 watts. There's nothing you can do with a solid state head, however.

Warning: DO NOT run a power attenuator with a solid state amp. Instant El-Poof-O.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:

Warning: DO NOT run a power attenuator with a solid state amp. Instant El-Poof-O.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] EL-POOF-O that is a good discription....
        i've seen 'EM POOF before, it aint pretty, with the nice cloud of white smoke and that so familiar smell, like hair and plastic burning, and that classic look of ...OH SHIT!!!..eeeewwww
        and i would have sugg. taking 2 tubes out also but you beat me to it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

If you insist on solid state, DO find a 50W combo. As it's been said before there's nothing that could be done to cut the power of a 100W head in half. The other option is to try use one of those in-line talk boxes.

Comment

well, you learn something everyday around here. Here's a question-IF you are running the head in stereo, could you just run the talkbox from one output?

Comment

TO cut the power on a solid state amp, can't you just use a different ohm speaker?

Pete

Comment

Pete's about to answer his own question. I hope.

Comment

Pete, are you all right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Where'd he go?

Comment

Question for the resident amp techs....

Hey folks...
                      I was wondering, it it possible to change/alter an amp's wattage? For example: If I have a 100 watt head,(solid state) is there something that can be done to make it a 50 watt head?
                      [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Anybody smell smoke?

Comment

Found this from Mrgearhead.com:

In the case of solid state amps, there will normally be a "Max Load" (also called "Minimum Impedance") rating for the amp. The load plugged into the amp should never go below the minimum impedance or serious damage may occur to the amplifier. Maximum power will be obtained when the speaker load matches the minimum impedance. It is perfectly safe to use a higher impedance speaker load, but there will be a corresponding drop in output power (i.e. an 8 ohm speaker load will result in approximately half the output power of a 4 ohm speaker load).

Comment

Ah, you're alive! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

he's right P=V(2)/R...double the R, half the P...

Comment

Working...
                              X