Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck-through and set-neck

I was wondering...

What would the tonal difference be between a guitar with a mahogany body, mahogany neck, ebony fretboard and 1/4 quilted maple top be... in these 2 versions:

neck-through

set-neck

I'm really curious.

I really doubt you could detect a difference in tone between those two methods of construction.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

especially if you play death metal which needs no tone just a pedal, though set necks tend to be muddy, compared to the other construction methods.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        though set necks tend to be muddy, compared to the other construction methods.
        Um, no.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I'm with Bengal.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm with the band :ROTF:
            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
              Um, no.
              umm, yes.................
              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Ummm I don 't play death metal anymore, but, even when I did, I used just the distortion channel on my Carvin V3 (100% tube), never a pedal. Now I play hard rock/metal, and I'm very aware of tone, always was. Were you trying to make me look stupid?

I just wanted to know, since a friend of mine said that neck-through's, though they provide more sustain, they had a somehow "dull" edge to it, compared to a set neck. So I just wanted to know, if it helps, pretend I play... rock, jaz, blues or whatever that is apt for tone understanding.

Comment

no, i wasn't, just stating a well know fact, tone isn't just with wood, it is pick ups, hardware,etc. But most of all, the player. dime could make any guitar sound, have that particular dime sound. tone is a compromise of multiple things.

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                    I just wanted to know, since a friend of mine said that neck-through's, though they provide more sustain, they had a somehow "dull" edge to it, compared to a set neck.
                    Don't buy into the myth that neck-thru construction gives more sustain than set neck or bolt-on. Also, neck-thru seems to be a little brighter.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                      especially if you play death metal which needs no tone just a pedal
                      ]

Pfft...some of the most ignorant 'advice' ever.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Don't buy into the myth that neck-thru construction gives more sustain than set neck or bolt-on. Also, neck-thru seems to be a little brighter.
                        +1
                        sustain depends on how well the guitar is constructed, its coice of materials used, pickups, etc. I think bolt-on's are the brightest sounding followed by neck-thrus. Set-necks usually have a warmer sound IMO.
                        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                          Were you trying to make me look stupid?
                          :ROTF:

You seem to have plenty of discussion topics.

I would think a neck thru would be brighter and sustain longer than a set neck. If you have one solid piece of wood, with the strings attached at both ends, there is no breaks in the wood to allow it to vibrate, stealing energy away from the string.

In reality, there are so many other factors that can steal away from the tone that you won't really notice the differences between a set neck and neck thru.

Bad bridge, soft wood, poor cunstruction / glue, ceramic pickups vs weak Alnico 2, size of strings, scale length, etc.

I have a Jackson Fusion Professional that seems to sustain for ages that convinced me neck thru isn't everything, but I still prefer neck thru overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post

Well, death metal can be very noise, massive, and in many cases, toneless. It happens. Me particularly, I always had a signature tone, not too much gain, plenty of mids, and the final product was precise and great-sounding.

I don't blame Kelly User for saying or thinking that, It's okay actually. And yes, most amateur death metal players always use a pedal even after they get recognition. We ALL used a pedal before we could afford a tube stack, but some players keep grinding on the ugly Metal Zone for ever.

But, leaving all that discussion aside, if you look closely, most of the high-end guitar market,(meaning... custom mades, neck-through's, USA made guitars), seems to actually concentrate around death metal players more than the other genres. For example, the big money "new breed of metal" players today, like Trivium, Shadows Fall, etc etc they all use "sponsored by" instruments, like Ibanez or ESP. If you check out bands like Nile, which is a death metal act, they use custom made guitars. And if you remember, most death metal guys used BC Rich guitars (because of the shape, sure) but those were neck-throughs... mostly. Also, Jackson is a big player on them.

Ironic isn't it? Most shredders usually go the Ibanez or ESP way, not to mention the pop artists or hard rock bands who usually favour Gibson or Fender... which can be considerably cheaper and "toneless" compared to Custom USA made guitars... (probably).
                            Last edited by LEOKV2; 06-03-2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                              ]

dude, chill it wasn't advice. it is a commonly know fact. whether you like it or not, you seem to like following around my post, and try and put me down, no breast milk for you i suppose.

but all jokes aside, it is hype, people talk up neck thru, and thus they are famous. but i won't say anything because i like all 3 construction methods. But i like the feel of neck thru, and the over all feel, heavy and sturdy.

Comment

Working...
                              X