Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiff knobs...

...er, you know what I mean...!

Is there any way to get the volume pots on my guitar to get a lil looser?...I know some like em stiff so they don't get accidentally turned off onstage, but I'm finding my Soloist too difficult to do volume swells with my pinkie finger.

What if I just turn the thing full on and off for a few minutes?...any other ideas, other than replacing the pot?

it could be the knobs themselves, not the post,,, try loosening the set screw on the knob,, then pull up slightly on the knob then retighten the set screw.

Comment

I posted something on another forum showing how to free up potentiometers.
      Basically, what I found was that the metal tabs on the cover are often too tight and cause unwanted friction.

To correct it, I just lifted the tabs a bit
      This free'd up the potentiometer significantly.
      I then added a drop of solder on them just for piece of mind.
      It's a little time consuming, but it works great.

http://www.frankenstraat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=981

Comment

No need to solder just lift the tab slightly.I think Paul Bromm's suggestion will fix the problem.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

...I lifted off the knobs, but if I loosen the screw-thing then I get extra 'movement' in the knob that I don't want...that's what led me to take off the knob, to tighten up the ...whatever the thing is called on the pot..lol.

Anybody got a pic?...I'm not soldering anything on this baby...but I wouldn't mind the knobs loosening up a bit...thanks for the tips...anybody make it a bit more clear?..thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bromm View Post
            it could be the knobs themselves, not the post,,, try loosening the set screw on the knob,, then pull up slightly on the knob then retighten the set screw.
            ..now I get it...yes, I did this too and it didn't help. The knobs not right against the wood..thank God!....but putting it higher didn't help. Any other suggestions, though?

Comment

Replace the pots? Use some tuner/cleaner lube on the pot shaft. That works for me and cleans the contacts at the same time.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
              X