Difference between using 3 and 4 springs on a floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between using 3 and 4 springs on a floyd

I use standard E tuning with 10-46 strings. What's the difference between using 4 springs (like I do now), and using only 3 springs on the floyd? Which is better, in your opinion?

thanks
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Less springs puts less tension on the Floyd. Some people even use just two springs on their Floyds to be able to get a better warbling effect.
    I usually prefer 4 or 5 springs on my Floyd, as it gives it more tension... strings are stiffer and not as easy to bend, and the Floyd takes more effort to push down.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It will probably be harder to bend strings.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Less springs puts less tension on the Floyd. Some people even use just two springs on their Floyds to be able to get a better warbling effect.
        I usually prefer 4 or 5 springs on my Floyd, as it gives it more tension... strings are stiffer and not as easy to bend, and the Floyd takes more effort to push down.
        Cheese n' rice, Joe!!! Whadda ya got for fingers, sausages?
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Ah, I didn't realize it affected the bends too. I'll stick with 4springs then. I know EVH used only 2 with his 9-42 strings.
          Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
          Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
          Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
            Cheese n' rice, Joe!!! Whadda ya got for fingers, sausages?
            Nah, they're actually kinda skinny and small. I just experimented many years ago and liked that feel.

Comment

Nah, they're actually kinda skinny and small. I just experimented many years ago and liked that feel.
              Note to forum members: Joe admits he likes the feeling of something stiff in his fingers.

On a serious note, if you had only 2 springs, wouldn't that make it more difficult in achieving full step bends? I mean, since the trem is gonna give more, you'd have to bend the ever livin' crap out of the string to reach that point, correct?
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I've found that it's easier to move the trem up or down if you use fewer springs with more distance vs. more springs with less distance. I might be wrong as I use 5 springs on my only trem, but I think it could be true since every 3-spring guitar I use is extraordinarily easy to move and mine is pretty much concrete (which is the purpose).

Comment

Just keep in mind, if you go experimenting by removing springs, that you'll most likely have to adjust the trem claw to help compensate and to keep the bridge from lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                    I use standard E tuning with 10-46 strings. What's the difference between using 4 springs (like I do now), and using only 3 springs on the floyd? Which is better, in your opinion?

thanks
                    The only opinion that matters is yours. Who cares what Eddie did? Just dick with the springs and adjust the trem until you like it. Don't forget adjusting the claw if necessary.
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I just changed a few of my Floyd equipped guitars to D tuning from standard E, and the adjustments were easy- I'd never done it myself before for some reason....I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9- 42) and I like the looser feel. I doubt I could go lower with this guage....I adjusted the tuning and then the claws to level it to the body, and then re-tuned. I raised the bridge slightly also- all works good- 3 springs. (they came that way, so I just left 'em) Nice fluid feel!

Comment

im with ya....i find its alot more stable with 4 or 5 springs. & use 10's (regular & 10-52) or 11's on most of my guitars tuned standard.

Comment

I usually prefer 4 or 5 springs on my Floyd, as it gives it more tension... strings are stiffer and not as easy to bend,
                          "Not as easy to bend".. Excuse me Joe, but this is pure bullshit The stiffer the bridge, the easier it is to bend to correct pitch. mhalsey put it very well in his post. I hate the floating bridge for this very issue: it fukks with your bending.

(I'm sorry I wrote bullshit, but I just need to curse once in a while. Otherwise, my head would explode )
                          Last edited by jackson1; 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM.
                          Henrik
                          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

It's easier to bend to pitch because there's more tension and it's not as floppy, so the bridge doesn't move as easy. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Comment

I usually prefer 4 or 5 springs on my Floyd, as it gives it more tension... strings are stiffer and not as easy to bend
                              It's easier to bend to pitch
                              You confuse me
                              Henrik
                              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                              X